Finally decided and ordered my chicks today

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Dogwood Farm, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Dogwood Farm

Dogwood Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I am so excited but I have to wait till June 17th till they are shipped. That's ok. At least I have plenty of time to get ready for them and the weather will be nicer also or at least I hope so.
    I decided after all the good I heard about the Black Astralorps I had to have them. And I love the Buff Orpingtons. For some interest I love what I've read and the looks of the Light Brahmas. And the last breed my husband picked this one. Barred Rock. We have 5 pullets of each breed coming. The girls and I are very excited about getting the chicks. They will be out of school when they arrive so I guess I will have some help getting them settled in. Big thank you to everyone who helped me. And just wait to hear all the questions I have now.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats. For the record, I think you are very wise to wait to get your chicks. The warmer weather really helps.
    I know you'll love your brahmas. Are you sure you don't need five buff brahmas to go with your lights? I have all three - lights, darks and buffs - and the buff are my favorite eye candy, though my lights are the friendliest.

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Hey congrats,That will make for a fun summer!

4. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    You just had to mention the Buff Brahms didn't you. Had to go find them to see what they looked like. Gorgeous birds. Have to know my limitations for starting out though. I diffently will be keeping them in mind though.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well, unlike most of the folks on this forum I am not an enabler. Just thought you might like to see a pic of my dark brahma roo [​IMG] :

[​IMG]

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

excellent choices [​IMG] I have some of all of those breeds, you'll be very happy with them, I predict [​IMG]

The brahmas are my favorites [​IMG]

meri

7. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    What a gorgeous bird you have there Gritsar.
    I was hoping we made the right choices. I did a lot of reading and comparing for over 2 weeks now. I have two little girls who are very anxious. One like I said before wouldn't take much for her to be afraid of the chickens. So I tried to pick well mannered breeds. I know we're going to be very happy with them.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I agree the warm weather will be a big help. It's so nice not having to worry about them freezing at night.

You made good choices with the breeds. I'm sure you'll be well pleased with them.

9. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    My husband's first chickens that we ordered just over a month ago were Black Australorps. We love them. We have 8 hens and a rooster. They are the most docile and sweet of all the chickens I've ever dealt with. (I have relatives with chickens, so that's what I'm comparing them to.) Ours have almost all their feathers now and are so pretty. I will have to take a picture of them tomorrow to post here.

I would recommend these for someone who wants chickens that will be around kids. My 9-year-old loves them and they are good with her.

10. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    This is our Australorps during their first week.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by