Finally decided on names for the herd/flock (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KDbeads, Oct 27, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well I finally got around to naming all the girls.... finally.

So... in the 'big girls' run:
    Red (NHR), her comb just started getting more red so I'm hoping this means eggs soon (hatched 4/6/09 same with the next 2 NHR) She's my treat hog:
    [​IMG]
    And if I don't bring treats.... she riles everyone up to try pecking them out of my leg (she's in front):
    [​IMG]

Josephine, 'Joe', with her crooked comb, still not as red as Red's but getting close:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big Bertha, she's the shyest of the 3 NHR's... and the BIGGEST. I had to redo the roost situation when I figured out she can't fit where the others roost so decided to 'roost' on the poop shelf:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Esmeralda, 'Ezzy', the mutt hen who hasn't laid an egg since 9/6/09. She's decided that I'm tolerable as long as I bring treats, gives me the stink eye when I don't:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the 'Little girls' run.. my EE's who are STILL terrified of me, no matter what treat I bring, what bug I catch..... :
    Top row, left to right are Freak and Panic, Bottom is Mayhem
    [​IMG]
    May will come near me if the run door is closed with me on the other side:
    [​IMG]

And more pics of the brats, 6 weeks old.... still in the garage in the brooder. Ezzy is the mother of the 3 mutts, top to bottom Seven (EE), Karate Kid (mutt), Danielson (mutt), Miagi (mutt):
    [​IMG]

Karate and Miagi are having an ugly boy contest, I think Miagi is winning at the moment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Danielson is practicing her "Brains?" pose:
    [​IMG]

And Seven just hides from me as far back in the brooder as she can get:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Nice pictures! I keep trying, but they keep moving. I have started aiming my camera in the direction I think they will move and just start clicking. I have alot of the backs of their heads.
    I have only named a few so far. Thurston Fowl the III was a hen, so I don't know what to do there,
    But Mrs. Slocome is a doll. I call her Betty. She has a big hairdo.
    She loves to hug.
    Who knew chickens were so much fun?[​IMG] Except all of these people here.

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I took 30 shots of the girls just to get the few I posted [​IMG] Just keep clicking, you never know what you're going to get! Take the pic of my leg and Red...... I held the camera away from me and pointed it at Red, took 3 shots and the second one was good enough to post [​IMG] I was trying to catch her actually grabbing a beak full of my jeans and pulling, silly girl.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Mine do that to. i thought they were just cleaning their beaks.
    Or sharpening them

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Red thinks I keep the treats in my pants so she'll yank at them when I don't have any for her [​IMG] She managed to stick her head down in my pocket this morning when I was changing the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by