Finally done coop-summer project!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DanyyChicken, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    It seemed to take for ever to have the entire coop and run completed. The inside of the coop was really no problem and went rather quickly. The outside run was another story, UGH! We mostly had to content with a very rainy June. It seemed as though every weekend rained. The poor hubby had finally gotten so fed up with the weather he just started working in the pouring rain.
    Even though we started with a pretty complete shed it still took the good part of our summer. We were only able to work on it over the weekends and around the kids schedules. We think it came out really nice and the chickens seem to enjoy it!

Delivery of 6x 10 run-in shed found on clearance at local swing set retailer! May 2011
    [​IMG]

Working on the inside. Styrofoam sheets used for insulation covered by plywood. May 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the fun stuff...finishing off the inside...painting, roost poles, nest boxes. Wood floor was covered with linoleum for ease of cleaning.
    Fun family art work! We can look back on it years from now and remember how small the kids once were.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to turn our attention to the outside... June 2011
    Laid down landscape fabric, made frame (9x10) for base of run cover by 1/4" hardware cloth, filled with 4" of stone dust, framing covered entirely by 1/4" hardware cloth, top of run covered with 1/4" hardware cloth and clear plastic roof panels to keep out the elements. I know it may be overkill but wanted to make sure no predators can get the chickens. Could be tramatic for myself and the kids!
    It's been a couple of months and the chickens never dig that far down while dustbathing so there have been no troubles with the hardware cloth or landscape fabric being under the run. Thank Goodness that was a concern of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chosen ones enjoying their home! Yipee!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope I don't get chastised by a moderator out there. I tried to build a page to submit to coop design area but my pictures got all jumbled up...and I couldn't figure it out ...so anyways...here it is. We are so happy to be done!

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    WOW! I [​IMG] it! You did an awesome job!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Great job!! [​IMG]

4. lacey eggs

lacey eggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Very, Very Nice! No, Super Super nice! You should be real proud. Thats an awesome job. I`m sure your chickies love it. I really like the ideas that you put into the outside ground and roof.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That is fantastic! What a nice job you did on that. I love the wall decorated with hand prints, too. Did you use a clear sealer over that? It would be so great if you could keep that in the coop forever.

6. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    It looks great! I am just finishing up mine too, and it's such a good feeling to be able to put it to use! I love the little painting, I didn't get to paint the old shed I used, maybe next summer I will. It sure makes it look nice.

7. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Oh my. That looks great.

As nice as it is, you've probably already realized that the chickens want to roam the yard. Hopefully your black dog is sweet like mine and won't bother them too much (our friends still chuckle every time they see our dog lounging in the yard with the birds).

8. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Sweet....very nice. Love the run area the way it turned out. All around great job.
    Erik

9. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments!
    Shayna I sure do love your run... If only I had one that size I could get more chickens!:[​IMG]

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by