Finally! Early bird gets the egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I woke up lst night around 3:45 and thought I was hearing an egg song!!??. I had cracked my daughters window which faces the backyard last night and over the baby monitor in her room, sure enough there was definitely some activity. It wasn't the clearest song so I figured there was some scuffling going on. I had just switched the timer setting on the light to come on an hour earlier so I thought it was just their reaction to the earlier light. I mean there is no way someone was going to be laying just after the light kicked on. Well I just had to check to make sure everyone was ok. I had recently put my older hens in with the pullets so there has been some pecking order issues going on. I walked out to check on them this morning and the automatic door hadn't even open yet. It opened literally as I was walking to it. So I checked and sure enough there was a perfect little egg in the nesting box! Way to go! I had gotten 3 BRs 4th of July weekend putting them at around 23 weeks. I know who it was because she is further along than the other two. Her comb had been bright red for a few weeks now so I knew it would be any day. I am just so surprised that she layed it so early in the morning. It was very cold so I know that is definitely when she layed it. Now if my older hens can get their act going. They haven't laid since I moved them to the new coop.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by