Finally - eggs have started to pip - NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TarHeelBlue, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I have 3 out of 12 eggs that have pipped, but after an hour, that is the only sign of life! Should they continue to break the shell now, or will it take a while. How long before they start to break the shell again? Sorry, so many questions for this newbie. I have worked so hard to do this right.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Go shopping for a year's worth of groceries, always works for me. It can take 24 hours or more from pip to zip. Sit on your hands and don't fog the windows with your breathing as you peek in every 30 seconds.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

Edit to add: They will stop moving and rest many, many times. It's not really for a rest though, it's more of a test to see if you can keep restarting your heart.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It takes a whole lot of energy to break that shell from the inside when you're all folded up inside it like that. Chicks need a lot of rest after pipping. I have had eggs pipped for over 24 hours before they zip and the chick kicks its way out!

An hour is nothing. Sit on your hands and just watch, at this stage.

4. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    When I say pipped (and you have to realize how new and excited I am about this) I mean that it looks like the tried to break out of the shell and it broke, but not through the shell, just a cracked area. That's good, right????[​IMG]

5. HelenaJean

HelenaJean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    they're fine; it makes a lotta work to hatch.
    try thinking of it like labor, just because the water's broken and the baby isn't out yet, doesn't mean it's not on its way.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    go clean your house from top to bottom..then do it again-do something for 24 hours to keep your mind off of it LOL ...That never worked for me but the house was clean the first couple of months I started incubating [​IMG]

7. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Congrats! I am right there too! I woke up to one out which was quite the shock since 21 days is tomorrow, now 2 more are out. Happy healthy chicks, two more have pips but no movement...I am starting to wonder about all the other eggs nothing from them yet. Hopefully I end up with a few more babies!

8. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:That's what I am doing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by