Finally, eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billfields, Sep 12, 2011.

1. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    So, after all the thinking and planning and building, all the pouring over chicken catalogues and that trip to the post office in the early early morning and a month of brooder in the house and ....today they're 19 weeks and two of them started paying back. I figure these cost me about $500 each....

[​IMG]

Looking at combs I think one is from my Dominique and one is from my Golden Comet. The only others one with such a red comb are the Sicilian Buttercup and the Golden Lakenvelder and I think they lay white eggs. I was really impressed that they went to the nesting boxes first time to lay. I put nest egg gourds in there a few weeks back and they seem to have done their job.

What's really annoying is that I stopped at the store on the way home and bought a dozen eggs...hopefully my last ones! [​IMG]

But here's a serious question....17 hens, two of them laying now, 15 not yet. When do I switch them to layer mash? I'm inclined to do after the half bag of Flock Feeder I have now is gone.

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Congrats!

3. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Very nice! I am still waiting for an egg from my 3. For now they are just wandering yard art with attitude!

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Right there with ya! We finally had enough to eat for breakfast yesterday...most expensive egg breakfast EVER! Good thing we love them! [​IMG]

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I just can hardly wait for those first eggs!
    AARRGGHH!!

7. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Collected my first egg today. It probably did cost $500. I have been afraid to add up the receipts in the "Chicken Project Folder." It was started nine months ago and seems to be never-ending.

8. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Congrats! It is so exciting, isn't it!
    Switch them to laying food now if you haven't already.
    You can mix your current food with the laying ration to transition them over until it's gone. Then just straight laying formula.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. The Accidental Coop

The Accidental Coop Out Of The Brooder

How exciting! [​IMG] Congrats!

10. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    You are very lucky! We just found our first egg today in the duck house. My 3 hens are over 6 months. Talk about a long wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by