FINALLY! Finished the Kennel Panel Tractor --- PICS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudhen, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Just in time for winter, [​IMG] oh, well, at least it's done!

I had a couple of kennel panels left over, so I clamped a couple of 2x4's at the base and added gate wheels at each corner. Then, 2x4 wire at both ends.
    Had a small screen door that I cut down and hinged it to open upward.

I was so jazzed to have got it done, that I took pictures before hanging the waterer, feeder and the three 5-gal bucket nests.
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Little Brownie, the Speckled Sussex I got from PurpleChicken and Drumstick, was the first (of course! [​IMG] ) to check out the new contraption. Yona (Iowa Blues) is on the left, MillieMe (Light Brown Leghorn), is on the right, and Buffy is in the background with Goldie, her sister (both BO), just partially further back:
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of how I plan to get them into the tractor. I'm letting them check it out today.
    The plan is to get them in, roll them out to a fresh spot in the yard, and have them go at it for a few hours then bring them back in. I'm hoping the weather holds out for a few more weeks and they can enjoy it before winter sets in...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    Thangbom and MrsMopar like this.
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

COOL! Is it just dog kennel panels?

3. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Yeah! I had one with a door and a plain one left, and I used the clamps that come with the panels to hold them together at the top! [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Genious! Talk about using your resources!

5. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Except for the lumber and the wheels, everything was stuff we had around the place!
    I probably could have saved some money on the lumber too, since we have a few left over 2x4's, but I cheated and had the guy at Lowe's cut the pieces to size and got treated wood, figuring it would last a little longer.
    I now kind of wish I had used the turney-wurley-style wheels instead of these straight ones, cuz turning the tractor is a little hard to do. But at least it rolls nicely, even in my over-grown yard [​IMG].
    OK, I'm embarassed at how tall it is....I'll mow tomorrow.... [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That is fabulous. I am sure they will love it in the Spring...

I love the use of materials and the ingenuity. Well done.

7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Great job! Now let me go check out all the materials I have laying around. PEACE

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice job, looks very professional.

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have chain link panels around the property also and never would have thought to put them together the way you did! That's really thinking outside the box! Nicely done...

Thanks for sharing and for giving me ideas for using my panels.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice,grat job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by