Finally found a doctor that listens but she wants a sleep study uggg

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HeatherLynn, May 27, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have had so many ucky doctors the last 10 years. Ok so I have a new one. Just had our first appointment which lasted well over the 30 min alloted for my appointment. Thyroid was fine much to my dismay which leaves me with some problems that need fixing with no cause to explain them. She suggested a sleep study. I'm going to do it even though I am nervous about it. I have slept alone less than a dozen times in the last 10 years and never slept while being watched by strangers. Trying not to work myself up into a panic attack but its sorta a scary thought.

I guess if I am going to have any hope in this doctor working out I need to go along with this testing though. So tired of feeling crappy. I just hope she is right or figures out what is wrong finally. On the bright side my blood work looks wonderful. Apparently despite feeling like crud I am fantastically healthy. go figure

Also she is not anti herbal supplements. She actually knew what elderberry syrup was good food. Thats promising I think.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Call the doctor and explain how uptight you are about the sleep study. She can order something to help you relax the evening of the study.
    My DH had one done and now sleeps with a CPAP machine with supplemental oxygen. He had to have some sleep meds. in order to fall asleep at the sleep lab.
    I had one done about 10 years ago. Found out I don't have sleep apnea. What they did discover is that I don't have normal sleep patterns and I have "seizure-like" activity while I sleep. My sleeping EEG (electroencephlogram) and my awake EEG are identical. Ten years later and we're still working on correcting that. The med. I'm taking for sleep right now, remeron, is helping, but not a cure.
    There's alot to be learned from sleep studies. I suggest you go for it.

3. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    When my doctor suggested a sleep study a few years ago, I was sure they wouldn't find anything wrong. Instead, my tests revealed that I had moderate sleep apnea, almost severe. Mine was done in a very comfortable, small, motel-like hospital room, and a prescription medication was used to help me sleep. They aren't studying how you get to sleep, but what your brain registers while you're asleep.

I've used a CPAP machine ever since, but no oxygen. It has made a HUGE difference for me, starting with the first night. One of the side benefits is that my allergies that have plagued me most of my life are VERY MUCH better. I'm sure your doctor explained to you that when you have this kind of sleep disorder, your body can be deprived of oxygen to the extent that it can damage all your organs.

I know people who don't use their CPAP machines because it "messes up" their hair! Can't imagine that!

Good luck with yours.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ive always wanted to put a camera on myself during the night so I can see how much I actually move and wake up.
    Getting a sleep test would be pretty awesome!

5. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Heatherlynn, I've been hypothyroid for about 25 years now, and I've been pretty obsessive about my lab results. So, my first question is - did they do a complete panel, or just check the TSH. If they only check the TSH things can still be messed up, and just because the TSH falls within a "normal" range doesn't mean that it's normal for you. The lab my Drs currently use has a very wide range for normal, with like a 20-30X difference between the high and the low. I feel best when my TSH is so low that the lab flags it because I'm "over-medicated", but, if my dosage is dropped I feel like sh*t and all sorts of symptoms, so easily explained as normal middle-agedness begin to plague me. So, don't panic about the sleep study, but do take a closer look at the thyroid numbers.

I'm glad you found a good Dr, that is a precious discovery.

Thinking of you,
    Helen

PS In my opinion "feeling like crud" does not equal "being totally healthy", there's got to be something that can be done, a change or addition to be made in your life that will help you feel better. So, don't give up the search!

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Definitely agree about staying on top of thyroid issues. I've been on thyroid medication for over 40 years, and know the thyroid affects all your body functions. You also have to be careful of generic meds in this case. Most are good, but some are not. When I developed Atrial Fibrillation a few years ago, my cardiologist told me it is closely linked to the hypothyroidism and medication all those years. Both can easily be controlled by meds, but you have to stay on top of it. So glad you've found a good doctor who'll listen to you.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea I am going for the sleep study definitely. She suggested some supplements like d3 and such since I am on the low normal side for that. The TSH is like at .87 so its actually really low. A few years ago it was borderline high somewhere between 4 and 5 but they said it wasn't bad enough to treat. Not sure what caused the drop. She gave me a copy of my lab results to look over. They did not do a full panel for the thyroid like I hoped, probably after the sleep study I will bring up doing the comprehensive panel. She really thinks the sleep study will be a key though so I am just hoping. Frustrating to feel soo bad and the tests all say nothing is wrong. 9 years of anxiety attacks and not being able to drive because I am so sleepy tells me something is wrong. This doctor at least listened to that and is going further. All the others saw my tests results and said I was fine. They could give me drugs for the anxiety. Yea thats not a real solution.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My DH did a sleep study and they found out that he stops breathing many times a night, which caused him to wake up each time. He's been sleeping with a CPAP machine for over two years now, and it gives me some comfort to know that he breathes through the night and also gets more rest. He used to be tired all the time; I think the machine has really helped.

9. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Good luck with your sleep study. I say go along with getting the test. I have had bad doctors befor (specificly one who misdiagnosed a very serious problem for 7 years) It is very hard to find a good one. I hope this one works out for you and you can stick with the same dr. My Mom had a sleep study and it wan't too bad just weird she said.

10. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    A sleep study is easy. They put goo and tape on electrodes and stick them to your body (unless your at a poor clinic, they just spit on theirs), you then sleep for the night. I got one because I had a tooth infection that I didn't take care of and almost died. True story! In my file it was reported the Dr said, "Let me give him the paddles one more time". So any who, they decided to induce coma. They were quite amazed that I still woke up, even after a second dose of drugs.
    I had two done. One without my sleeping meds which was a fun sleep study as I didn't sleep. And the second with enough Meds to knock out a Bull Elephant. I got two hours of sleep that night and I think that was out of boredom.

But it really doesn't matter if you sleep all night, partly, or at all.
    What they do want to see is if you can do R.E.M. sleep, even if it's a minute or two. They also want to see if your going through the proper "Phases", skipping them or if they are out of order.

As far as "New Dr's", I honestly feel for you. I get a new one every 4 to 6 months. Every time I see a new Dr (especially with FM/CFS), they tell me I was mis-diagnosed, re-do all old tests, maybe tell me something else but continues to give me all the old Meds. Two months ago I had A NEW FREAKING DR AT THE CLINIC. I told the Nurse that if this Dr tells me my diagnoses is fault, I am going to have to (inappropriate remark removed by Staff--remember we are a family friendly forum). Sure I got my physical with Security in the room but he didn't mess with me.

I wish you the best.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by