Finally found DE food grade local, now what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LegHorn-BusHorn, Sep 5, 2009.

1. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    This was quite a trip, just finding it. The people around here look at you like you don't know what you want and this was at Dicky Bubs farm supply. They also said they never heard of it and couldn't find it on their computor. I also asked about an electric water base and all they could show me is dog bowls. Well, I went to look at the chicken supply area and there it was, the electic water base! I went to another farm supply and did find the DE but again, it was a search and it was their last bottle. So what I need to know is, how to use the DE and how often? I also intend on using it on my dogs for their flea problem, I heard it works well. A few quik answers will be fine. THANKS! [​IMG]

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Our DE came in a big bag...........what kind comes in a bottle??

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Actually, I've been wondering about this too. I'd love to see pics of bag/bottle so that I know what to look for....

4. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    It is a 6lb. plastic canister with a shaker attached, it was 10.95.

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Oh! Well then I would start shaking it on birds, in pens, in nests, on food, other pets, anywhere I didnt want pests to be living...... etc etc etc etc

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have seen it come in pill form for humans to swallow.. if it is powder then you sprinkle very lightly on their bedding and if you have shavings on the floor use it there too.. it is bad to inhale it so do it ever so lightly..it helps dry the poos fast.. it is made from old shells that have broken down and it is sharp like razor blades to soft insects.. worm fleas. it slices them.. it is safe to use on your food and pets food.. just go sparingly.. 1 tablespoon a day is adult size . when you mix it into your shavings you can let the chickens do it.. they will mix it up for you is you throw some seed , popcorn. things that aren't wet down for them to scratch at.. i use it under the roost.. people use it for their dogs, cats, etc. to help control fleas... some shelters will use it on the babies if they are too young for drops for fleas. i use a leftover kraft parmesan shaker and put it on so you almost can't see it..gl

7. trinityfly

trinityfly Out Of The Brooder

Amazon sells food grade DE in many size packages boxes and in shakers as well.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Is there anything Amazon doesn't have??? lol I was glad to see this thread. I haven't started my quest for DE (foodgrade) yet, but at least now I won't be surprised if it's difficult to find.

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
  10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I am having a hard time finding it around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by