1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally found "the other" outdoor nest......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missionsix, Sep 4, 2009.

1. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    [​IMG]
    I've been very suspect of another outdoor(outside of their coop/run) nest. I finally saw my hen go into the nest. I let them out in the morning and lock up when they go to bed. I live on National Forest Land, so, there's lotsa hiding places. 6 of my 9 hens are pretty good about keeping in the coop. My max egg count for a day was 8......

What about the eggs? Good still? Toss 'em?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Do the float test! [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup float em--if they sink they are good-if they float -toss them I had a hidden nest -My girla made me think they were on strike but low and behold-we watched and followed them to a tree with a cave under it-14 eggs in there-it had been cool all week and all 14 sunk in my float test-then I hard boiled them:)

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have a couple of girls who delight in hidden nests. I live in suburbia, and I had to hunt long enough to find 10 eggs. Sneaky buggers!!!! [​IMG] Even in Texas' summers I haven't found any floaters. Makes me wonder about grocery store eggs.

5. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    It's like an Easter egg hunt here daily. A couple of the girls are compliant and actually lay in their nice straw filled private boxes in the coop, but a few of them just think it is their job to confound me. So I was thinking and thinking the other night... where oh where is their latest hiding spot. Guess I thought about it long enough and dreamt about finding a nest, but awake I can't remember where I found it in my dream...

I think these girls are making me crazy(er)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by