Finally found "the other" outdoor nest......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missionsix, Sep 4, 2009.

1. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    [​IMG]
    I've been very suspect of another outdoor(outside of their coop/run) nest. I finally saw my hen go into the nest. I let them out in the morning and lock up when they go to bed. I live on National Forest Land, so, there's lotsa hiding places. 6 of my 9 hens are pretty good about keeping in the coop. My max egg count for a day was 8......

What about the eggs? Good still? Toss 'em?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Do the float test! [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup float em--if they sink they are good-if they float -toss them I had a hidden nest -My girla made me think they were on strike but low and behold-we watched and followed them to a tree with a cave under it-14 eggs in there-it had been cool all week and all 14 sunk in my float test-then I hard boiled them:)

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have a couple of girls who delight in hidden nests. I live in suburbia, and I had to hunt long enough to find 10 eggs. Sneaky buggers!!!! [​IMG] Even in Texas' summers I haven't found any floaters. Makes me wonder about grocery store eggs.

5. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    It's like an Easter egg hunt here daily. A couple of the girls are compliant and actually lay in their nice straw filled private boxes in the coop, but a few of them just think it is their job to confound me. So I was thinking and thinking the other night... where oh where is their latest hiding spot. Guess I thought about it long enough and dreamt about finding a nest, but awake I can't remember where I found it in my dream...

I think these girls are making me crazy(er)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by