Finally found their favorite treat...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvilledh, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    It is dry oatmeal. I'm lucky to not have holes in my hand from all the pecking. The funniest part was when one of the chicks decided to go around, jump on my arm and walk down to my wrist to get to the food that way. She's the smart one, and also the houdini who has escaped a couple of times!
    [​IMG]

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    How sweet!!![​IMG]

3. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    [​IMG] Stinkin' cute!!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Aren't they cute!! Yes, my girls like dry oatmeal too. Now I need to try the wet oatmeal. Supposed to warm their bones in those cold winter days.

Enjoy your babies!! [​IMG]

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    HAHAHAHA I just did the same thing today and yeah they LOVED it!!!!!

6. Shadowgrass

Shadowgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    I half cook 1 cup of oatmeal in the winter, every few days. Put it in a glass baking pan (16x9 I think), and let it cool a little. Open the coop in the middle of my Michigan winter with that steaming pan in your hand and you had better have a glove on. They devour it [​IMG] . Barely have time to slide it in.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My chicks as well as my grown birds love oats. I do buy oats for them I have tried whole oats and they aren't too keen on that but love rolled oats. They also like sunflower seeds unhulled. I mix scratch, sunflower seeds and oats for their treats. They love it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Mine like it too. When it got really cold this winter, I would nuke some in the microwave with water and take it out to them in the mornings for a nice warm treat.

9. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Ok, I'm gonna have to try that on my BCM chicks and see if that'll get em to love me [​IMG]

10. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:They will. Ours had no interest in boiled eggs. Very little in yogurt. Some in dried mealworms, but not out of my hand. The oatmeal, they were all over me for. They are three weeks old, so I found something now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by