Finally from written plans, the coop is emerging

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newwell, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

After much research on BYC for designs & expert input, we finally have begun the building of our chicken coop. It is going to be a large "tractor' model, 7x4 for 8 chickens. The run, which we have not started is going to be modular in design & mobile, too.

It took better than a week to gather our thoughts, draw up the plans on paper, purchase the lumber, & get started with the building. Our babies are 5 weeks old today & love being outdoors. So it is necessary to get this done ASAP. (Plus I want to give them time to really acclimate to the outdoor temps before it gets too cold.)

Here are a few pics of our progress. It sure does help to have a Hubby who is construction minded & is "indulgent" to his crazy wife.
    First a pic of some of our babies in their temporary play pen:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

There my Dear Hubby in the background [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Main structure is done, legs on, and it is off the saw horses:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, we'll be doing some more work on it. [​IMG]:weee
    PS - I'll get this picture thing figured out sooner or later

2. Newwell

[​IMG] Quick update. Got it painted inside & out today. My daughter, from the city, jumped right in & had a ball. She also laid all of the linoleum on the floor (cheapie peel 'n stick). Hopefully it will make cleanup a lot easier. She also fed them their favorite treats this morning, scrambled eggs & raw broccoli. She has made friends for life.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    congrats and great work so far

4. Newwell

Thanks [​IMG]

5. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

6. Newwell

[​IMG] Getting closer. All of the doors & vent covers got trimmed & went on today. We made the nest box attachment, so it will be put on tomorrow. We wanted to use some metal roofing that we had in the top of the barn, but my husband doesn't think we have enough. Nuts!!! So off to the store for some roofing materials. [​IMG] I am still thinking about a name for the chick's coop.

7. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Looks great!

8. Newwell

[​IMG] [​IMG] And even closer today. The roof is on. We had to go with shingles. Rolled roofing only comes in 100 sq ft rolls. I will have more pics soon. I am so happy with the progress. I got chicken nipple waterers for a "water system" yesterday that will be installed in the run, pretty cheap on eBay & they got here within a week. I think I have come up with a name, so what do you all think? "Cluck 'n Cackle Castle". So onward & upward tomorrow...paint the trim & get the wheels on.

9. lemondsm

lemondsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    It sounds like it is going really well. Can't wait to see your updated pics.

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks great so far! I'm interested in seeing how you're going to put the nest boxes on! Bring on the pictures of the boxes and more finish work! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by