1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally getting an Orloff rooster! Question inside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Count Orloff, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Well, I finally found a spangled Russian Orloff cockerel for sale in my area. I will be picking him up in the first week of January. I am concerned because I already have a black sex-link rooster; he's around 7 months old. The RO is 10 months old. I have one of those Amish-built coops that will hold 15-20 chickens and their run is 8' by 5'. Should I consider rehoming my black-sex link roo if I get this Orloff? I don't want them to kill or hurt each other.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

It can depend up how the cockerels react to each other. Some will get along and some will never get along.

The size of your run concerns me - 8x5 for two cockerels - does not give two arguing chickens much room to get away from one another. Do you keep the chickens mostly in the run or do they free range for most of the day (sun up to sun down)?

What is the size of your coop? Sometimes what "they say" it will hold, and what it actually comfortably does is different. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will surely argue about who is to be the lead roo; you can't predict how serious the arguments will get. Rehoming might be the best idea. As already said, that is barely enough space for your chickens as it is; if they spend a lot of time in the coop during the day, it really isn't.

4. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    I am going to re-home my sex-link rooster if I get the Orloff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by