FINALLY getting electricity

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Welshies, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    SO we are finally running electricity out to the coop. I plan to have 15-20 birds, 30 at max capacity. I plan to get chicks this spring.
    What is the best setup for electricity in the coop? Tips, or ideas, or things you'd change? I will have 2 heat lamps- one for chicks in the chicken coop, and the other for quail. Then, maybe a water heater in winter. Is there anything else I should consider?

2. burkechicken

burkechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I installed a timer switch hooked up to a porcelain fixture for supplemental light in the winter. A gfci outlet to plug in water heater.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you running real electrical circuits or extension cord(s)?
    Keep in mind extra room needed to plug in timers and thermocubes.
    Count up all the appliances you think you'll want and then add 2-3 extra outlets.
    Keep in mind that dust on heat lamps and in outlets can be a fire hazard.

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you. We are running an actual circuit out there, I believe- we have to dig a hole 2 feet deep and 8 inches wide for about 100 meters.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    That a lot of digging you have to do! Make sure you run the proper sized wire. At 300+ feet, you will need 4-8 gauge wire depending on your load so you don't exceed the 3.6 volt maximum drop that code calls for. Standard 14 gauge wire is not up to the task. I second the recommendation of metal conduit and metal junction boxes. If it were me, I would also run the wire in the trench in conduit. It will last much longer that way, and you don't want to have to dick up the wire anytime in the near future!

7. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Still learning Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    I am planning on 60 amp circuit to my coop. 20amp for outlets, 15amp for lighting and extra amps for future growth. I also like to build excessive being my wood shop is only 100 amp service.

Scott

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes I do. We are using the cord, I believe it's something like armored underground cord, the kind you run under the ground that comes on coils... I'm honestly not too sure how we plan on placing outlets or what we plan to do there.
    Here's a rough plan. We switched it around a bit so the roof doesn't have a skylight, but the sides have windows. The studs are the standard 16" apart, and it's 6" by 8", the front wall 7" high, the back 6" high.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by