Finally getting my first hens next week!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Penny spender, May 17, 2016.

1. Penny spender

Penny spender Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2016
    Not sure why....but I have become obsessed with chickens! I haven't even been around them in 30 years so I'm really hoping I like them! Lol

Im getting 6 sex link hens (combo of red and black) that are about a year old. Hubby is building a 4'x6' coop with 6'x10' run for them. The plan is to bring the whole coop and run into our unheated horse barn in the winter (southern Ontario).

I'm so egg-cited and I have so many ideas and questions. I've been pouring over this website and it's an amazing resource!! Looking forward to sharing my first time chicken owner adventures!!

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] So glad you could join us.

Sounds like you know about chickens somewhat because you are building the coop the right size. It doesn't take long to become attached to them and they are so entertaining to watch. Your unheated horse barn ought to work pretty nice for the winter for them. Looking forward to reading your chicken adventures.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's always better to build larger than you think will be needed. Chicken addiction hits hard and fast and going larger will save you from adding more coops or extensions to what you have. Plus if the birds choose to stay in the coop for extended periods of bad weather - the bigger the coop, the less the risk of them acting out in NOT nice ways. Chickens hate to be crowded.

You may want to post on the "Canadians, check-in-here." thread to find out what others do in terms of coops, what breeds are better in your climate etc. Welcome to Backyard chickens [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by