Finally getting the BIG coop together *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenCop, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

The rain has been delaying any work on this.... But had two days of great weather so yesterday i got the post in the ground and today we got everything else done but putting in the windows and the metal on the side. Still got alot of work to do on the coop (16x12),no cracks and putting hardware cloth along the bottom, inside work, etc...The metal will go to the ground so there shouldnt be much work on that part,not counting the 40x50 run I'm going to put around it. The flooring is from some 8 ft office doors, i guess they weigh about 150 lbs each..lol. The windows are out of my grandma's old hen house she had about 25 yrs ago.
    Thought I would share with everyone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCop

The holes in the floor will be covered, had to cut out the door knobs! lol

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Wow! Looks like a super good start to a super-sized coop. How many fortunate chickens do you have?

4. ChickenCop

15 banties, 14 laying hens, 6 teenagers (about 3 months old), 16 chicks up in the barn. I got 2 other smaller coops to keep everyone separated.

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    If my math is correct, that's FIFTY-ONE CHICKENS!
    [​IMG]
    A member of this forum from my neck of the woods was here today to see what it will take for me to have another coop, run, and brooder pen so I can separate my SIX chickens!
    [​IMG]
    I have three bantams and 3 large fowl. He is starting 2 Welsummers for me, so when they are 8 wks. old, I will have EIGHT chickens.
    [​IMG]
    How long did it take you to accumulate that many chickens? I started with only ONE in November.

6. ChickenCop

Well...lol...I got the banties 3 months ago, and it went crazy from there! I got my chicks back in March, and I got the laying hens from a friend of mine thinning out his flock 3 weeks ago. Alot of chickens all at once!!!!!!!![​IMG]

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    It's like eating chips you can't stop...

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Nice big coop and run!! [​IMG]
    I wish I had built mine bigger. I have a 10x12 coop and a 10x32 run. I can't free range as much as I though I could. Started with 15 chickens last spring and have 10 more of various ages that I'm adding this summer.

9. earlybirdspecial

earlybirdspecial New Egg

Apr 8, 2008
    Looks great!

Just a beginner here in Michigan.
    Wondering if anyone has built a coop into a hillside? I have the perfect site but concerned that there would be sanitation issues with air circulation and such.
    Just tossing ideas out there as I want to do it right the first time. Any input would be helpful. Eager to get hammering.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by