finally good pics, please help me identify this

lancasterflock

Songster
8 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I "rescued" ( actually paid $55 ) a cuckoo maran and a cream legbar. I was told up and down "she doesnt sell unhealthy birds" but I think quiete the contrary. Being new to chickens I had no idea what this was, if it was normal, etc. Now its spreading to the rest of my flock. Please help im so worried about my girls.

It could be marks from pecking or it could be fowl pox.

Here's one article to get you started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

From what I understand if it is fowl pox, it should run its course in a few weeks. Someone with more experience will most likely chime in with more suggestions.

Wyorp thank you for your input. I was thinking fowl pox too upon further research but I thought fowl pox had to be raised bumps? These are not raised. They are flat black dots of sorts.
They are on the waddles too. :(

Hmmm...just occurred to me, these are 2 "new" hens? How long have you had them? It could be pecking. Introducing new members can change the dynamics and pecking order. Have you observed any squabbles, pecking, aggression, etc. This may be what is happening. Even if they seem to be getting along fairly well outside, come roosting time, there can be quite a bit of drama. Just wondering.

Peck marks or else mosquito bites is my best guess. Don't get discouraged though and think that you've been ripped off because fowl pox is spread through insect bites so you may yet get a rip roaring case of fowl pox for your troubles.. That's my sick joke.

However from the location of the bite marks my best guess is that a hen made them.

Hmmm...just occurred to me, these are 2 "new" hens? How long have you had them? It could be pecking. Introducing new members can change the dynamics and pecking order. Have you observed any squabbles, pecking, aggression, etc. This may be what is happening. Even if they seem to be getting along fairly well outside, come roosting time, there can be quite a bit of drama. Just wondering.
ding.... ding..... ding..... i think that we have a winner.

Yes two new girls! The cuckoo maran is far bigger than my already established girls. The girls immediatley kind of "headed to" the maran. But the legbar is clearly the bottom of the pecking order. She actually wont even come out of the coop.

Just today I noticed a single black dot on one of my RIRs combs. She was the top of the pecking order before the maran came in. So maybe they duked it out? It would be great if it was indeed just pecking. I just find it odd that the back end of the comb on the maran is flopped over and kinda powdery looking ( see pics for reference ) as well as all the black dots.

I went to the local co op earlier and picked up some probiotics. I also stopped for more apple cider vinegar.
Im hoping the two will help boost their immune systems.

I just find it odd that the back end of the comb on the maran is flopped over and kinda powdery looking ( see pics for reference ) as well as all the black dots.
Yes, they could have had it out. The black mark at the back of the could very well be a bite mark and the comb could have been tugged over. "Powdery" could be dry comb or the beginning of favus. Here's a good article on that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036668/favus-or-dry-comb

Back
Top Bottom