Finally got chick grit. What treats first?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Jul 12, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I was finally able to get some chick grit, what treats should I give them first? They've been outside a few times and have had a couple pieces of sod, but I was hoping to be able to start giving them a few treats from our hands.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have you seen the BYC treats chart? https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Lots
    of folks start with a little plain yogurt. They will be more likely to accept it if mixed with something like a little of their regular feed or a scrambled egg. I like to start with small or soft things, or both, so they don't get choked. Maybe a little finely chopped fruit, or a piece off your hamburger, chopped up, or a bit of a leftover casserole - most anything handy, really. Cooked oatmeal, with or without something added, seems to go over well if you can't find a suitable leftover.

Remember that chickens are lactose intolerant. Yogurt, kefir etc. are OK because the lactose has been broken down, but straight milk is not good, will give them diarrhea and presumably cramps as well. I believe whey is OK if you happen to have it.

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Bugs! Mealworms area chicken fav.

4. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I gave my chicks mealworm frenzy and loved it. Strawberries- never touched them. Now they are a few weeks older so i gave them cheerios- played with them but never eat them... Maybe they will like yogurt... They lik chick grit... unfortunately so do the hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by