Finally got my babies

ShariM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Finally decided to get chicks... first time .... we got 1 Rainbow Dixie, 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds.... I have read everything I can get my eyes on about telling the sex of the baby chicks... but I am still very confused...... I do live in the country but in the city limits... so its ok to have the chickens but i dont think my neighbors are going to appreciate roosters.... so I really need to find out which ones are hens..... we got them the first weekend in March so they are only 4-5 wks old.... here is the Rainbow Dixie...
374070_3518420090110_1560244620_3001810_1233385589_n.jpg

they are all sleeping now... but here is a pic
398295_3518426130261_1560244620_3001811_1325906650_n.jpg

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks

I also need to know when it is a good time to start giving the chicks grit.....

You will have to wait for a few more weeks. Other than day old chicks most breeds can not be accurately sexed until they are several weeks old.

There are a lot of opinions about grit. You need to give it to them if you are giving them treats. It you are just feeding them chick starter hen you don't need it. I usually provide grit to my chicks when they are about 1 week old. I put a bowl of CHICK grit in brooder and leave it there from then on. I don't sprinkle it on the food like some people do.

Thanks for your response... I have been searching for secondary sex characteristics and I am still confused!!!
hit.gif

I still have a lot to learn so whatever you want to share... by all means !!!!!! We are building the coop next weekend.. its still too cold for them to be moved outside permantley... i have taken them outside during the day and they love it!!!!!

I'm a newbie as well when it comes to chicks. I got my first chicks the first weekend in March and they are just over 3 weeks old (as far as I know). As to sexing I know with my barred rocks I can already tell I have a rooster. He seemed much more curious than the others, and his comb is already turning red and the bit of his wattles I can see are red as well, whereas the others are just yellow-y.

As to grit I gave my chicks grit in a seperate bowl when they were about a week and a half old and have been giving them random treats since then!

Back
Top Bottom