Finally got my chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Boneyard, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Boneyard

Boneyard Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Osage City, KS
  2. Boneyard

Dec 10, 2012
    Osage City, KS
    Sad morning. I checked on the chicks at 10:30 last night all were good. Woke up at 2:30 went to check on them and one was laying dead. So sad. It looked like paste butt clogged him up. I've only had a few I had to clean so far. I feel horrible. I should have checked on them sooner. Good thing is I got them to eat some scramble eggs and yogurt last night and this morning before I left for work, they loved it! Temperature, space and bedding are all good. My chicks are now 6 days old. I took them off the sugary water and just have quick chick mixed in now. I'm hoping this will help. I also put a little petroleum jelly on a couples butts after I cleaned them. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I also lost chicks to pasty butt. I learned here on BYC that ACV in their drink water helps prevent it and since I've started using the ACV I didn't see another pasty butt. It really works! The ratio I prefer is 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. I couldn't find the organic, unfiltered one where I lived, but I hear that works better.

4. Boneyard

Dec 10, 2012
    Osage City, KS
    Thanks! I cannot find the raw unfiltered either but have been using regular diluted ACV. Is this OK?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Raw, unfiltered is better, but the "supermarket" one worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by