Finally got my first egg..What about you? Post your pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenfever417, Aug 2, 2013.

1. chickenfever417

chickenfever417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    I have been waiting NOT so patiently for our first egg...I come home today not expecting a thing and there it is.....

[​IMG]

I bring it inside and to my surprise it turns out to be a double yoke [​IMG]

Egg on left is store bought (Large) right egg is our first egg

[​IMG]

If you are waiting be patient...It was hard for me but it finally happened....My girls are around 20 weeks. My Black Sex Link has been red faced for 4 weeks, and I have been checking for eggs for 4 weeks LOL I imagine that it was her that layed it. But my White Wyandotte squatted for me today for the first time, so who knows?...2 exciting things in one day LOL

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your first egg! Always nice when they surprise you in a good way :)
    That was one ambitious pullet to lay a double egg for her first egg. My splash marans actually laid her first egg today, and it did not have a yolk... so I guess they average out to two normal eggs. Those sex links tend to be really good layers and she should lay plenty more for you. The Wyandotte shouldn't be too long now, it is almost as exciting to find two eggs for the first time as it is when the first one shows up.

3. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I know how you feel I'm waiting (impatiently) for my buttercups to start laying so I can hatch some more!! lol

4. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I am also waiting impatiently for my pekin to start laying. She's about 6.5 months and her "boyfriend" was mounting her yesterday!

5. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Hahaha are you going to breed her or just want some eggs? I plan on eating my first 7 eggs from each hen I don't know about ducks but chickens lay some wonky eggs their first go around. Not always but better safe than sorry.

6. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Well I've put my first batch of eggs in an incubator, just a small clutch of quail eggs. I'm dying to do more. I can already tell I'm going to become a crazy incubator!

7. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    OHH my quail just started last tuesday and I want to incubate! Do you have a turner or do you do it by hand? I've never had to hand turn but I'd be willing to learn to save on the cost of getting a quail egg turner that only turns six eggs.

8. chickenfever417

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    I was telling my daughter about how hard it is going to be waiting for 2 eggs now LOL......BSL laid again yesterday....It is a really cute pullet egg LOL She was very quiet and when done laying quietly went back to the run. No egg song....

Any guess on how long it takes to lay after the squatting starts?

Congratzzz on your first egg from your Maran's. I love the color of their eggs

9. chickenfever417

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    Hatching sounds like a lit of fun.....I too could see myself becoming addicted to that LOL
    Should not be long now......so I hear, I don't have a Rooster.

10. chickenfever417

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    Poat your Pics if you have them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by