Finally! Got our first egg! A little concerned though...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by flockman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Well I finally saw Boris and Natasha mate. I don't know if they are just prudes or what but this was the first time I saw it. We will have eggs eventually I assume. My friend who has embden geese has seen mating since January but no eggs. I wonder if the perma cloud from Lake Michigan affects the onset of egg laying/mating season here?

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Nah, I think those other times they just waited until you were gone [​IMG]

3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    We can not watch our geese all the time so they sneak around and breed when we are not looking. Plus hide there eggs. I have one female that keeps going to the back of the house in the rocks to lay eggs. We have to keep throwing them away because they have been in the freezing weather.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You mean Boris didn't give the Tarzan mating call when he was through? I always know when my gander and goose have mated. so does most of the county. [​IMG]

5. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yes he did give the Tarzan call. If I am in the house I don't hear the geese unless they are loose in the yard. That is when the come and look in the doors. Since Boris went hormonal we can't let them out in the yard. They are in a stall in a bank barn and the pasture is down goes a little more down hill from there. So they are out of sight and hearing range except if you are standing at the kitchen sink. They are not quite like the ducks, who are without shame. I figured that they had to be breeding but wasn't sure. I had just noticed in the last few days that Natasha's abdomen shape/outline has changed. I figured that it is her body getting ready to lay.

Now I know that they are mating, and that the eggs will more than likely be fertile. Very excited to get some hatching eggs! The incubator will be ready and waiting.

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Every time a gander breeds his goose he will trumpet BIG TIME! That he is awsome and king of the area. Because he trumpets loud enough to tell the whole area! [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats for sure, RURU just wasn't sure if that was just Embden ganders or all ganders of every breed. I mean if this gander had hands I'm sure he would beat his chest [​IMG]

8. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Well I got the first goose egg today. It weighed about 130 grams.

The problem is that it had almost no shell. Now I know that with chickens sometimes this happens as their body first starts laying eggs. I had not read anyone say their goose had done this.

For the last few weeks I had noticed that Natasha's vent always seemed to be a little wet. I assumed that they had been mating just while I was not around. Then the other day I originally posted that I saw Boris and Natasha mate. Last night I went out to check on them and Natasha seemed to be waddling and moving slowly. Her vent had a small amount of translucent white liquid just below. Now today when I went out she was sitting in the nest she made. She finally got up but moved slowly almost in a daze. She is eating and drinking just not voraciously.

Should I be concerned?

9. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Are you giving her oyster shell (or oyster shell grit) for calcium? SHe need some for an extra boost.

10. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah. She has also been on layer feed since January. That is what caught me off guard. I am more concerned with her odd behavior that the egg without a shell. Not being very vocal and not very active is unlike her. Maybe this is the new norm while she is laying. Hopefully there is nothing wrong. Time will tell I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by