1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally got pics up-what is he? and other ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hisbride, Jun 29, 2007.

1. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    [​IMG]

My Red Stars and Delawares seem to have slight variants. Is this sure to maturity or strains of birds? The hackle on the Red Star seems to have spot on some and not others.The same for the Delawares. Some have strong patterns onthe hackles and other do not. The last picture of my Delaware has a beige color on its body. What's the deal there???
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hisbride

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    hmm I don't know why this posted twice. Lots of views but no opinions???

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If he's just not dirty, your beigey Delaware has brassiness in the feathers, which can happen several ways on white birds. My BR rooster I bought was fed only corn, so where he should have been white, he was goldish. A month of good feed and he was white again. Another way is sun exposure all the time and a third one is that it could be in his genetics somewhere. My Delawares had differing amts of patterning in their hackles, too, and one pullet had almost none, so that will vary.

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

It's probably just the variety inherent in the breeds, nothing to worry about, I'm sure (unless you're a purebred breeder, of course). They look like big happy girls! How old are they?

5. hisbride

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    They are 16 weeks. I got them all at the same time and they have all eaten the same feed so it must be the breed. You said he. Do you think it is a roo? I have not heard a crow out of anyone so far. What about the black one???

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The black Cochin at the top looks like a boy, the others are girls and the variation is completely normal. [​IMG]

7. shookpoultry

shookpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    Claremont, NC
    Just so you know, the Red Stars (Gold Comet) are a sex link breed that means that they are a cross between two breeds and that the color of their feathers will not be the same.

Most hatchery's use this combination, New Hampshire Red and White Rock , although there are other breeds that can be used to make a sex link.

Note: Sense these are a sex link they will not breed true.

8. hisbride

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    can you get a Red Star by breeding a RIR with a Delaware??

Also I was pretty sure the Cochin was a roo but at 16 weeks he hasn't crowed!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you can get a Red Sex-Link with that cross, if the RIR is the male.

I've had roosters -especially the larger ones- that seem to take forever to start crowing. I think my Buff Orp Jack was almost 6 months old when he started crowing!

10. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    What about a RIR roo with a California White pullet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by