1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally got some Muscovies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I am so happy! [​IMG] My dd bought me nine one day old muscovies in different colors and two half grown ones that are black & white and a lavender! Mama was a chocolate and there is a chocolate one in the batch. Any advice is welcome. I do have the day old's in a separate brooder inside the warm coop with the chickens, mallards and guineas. They are safe from all the adults. I plan on keeping them in the brooder until they outgrow it. I started them on unmedicated feed. the two older ones are in a very large cage within an enclosed dog pen. Plan on keeping them inside the cage until they know this is home...a long time. I have wanted Muscovies for a long time and am so happy to finally have some with the added bonus of several different colors.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

AH thats so cool..Happy for you ! I have 3 muscovies now.... 1 drake and 2 girlies......all mostly white or solid white..would love some with color..........I just added ducklings... 1 Rouen and 2 Runners..........Rouen will add some colors.but I sure am beginning a duck addiction to my list ! Have fun, you sound like you have a large family there [​IMG]

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks, Okie, I was jealous when you got yours and wished I had some. this was such a wonderful surprise! I think I have all the ducks I want now. I am going to wish for some Sebastopol geese next spring. [​IMG]

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    when you mate muscovies with other kinds of ducks the offspring on some will be sterile

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you for the info, didn't know that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by