Finally got the Winter coop built, 90% done! (Big Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamz, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Well, here it is, the winter coop for the 5 chickens. It is an 8'x8' square shed type design, with the high end around 7'8"high, sloping down to somewhere around 5' something.

[​IMG]

My Grandad and I built the base frame out of recycled 2x6 and 2x8 pressure treated wood that used to be the front steps of my brother in law's house. When we replaced the steps I took the old ones apart board by board, took 'em home and they became the base for the coop. I wanted it strong enough so that one day I could park the lawn tractor and stuff in there (When the chickens get an upgrade, of course).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 10 year old son helped too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Inside:

[IMG]http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo149/jamz2233/coop%20build/DSC_0412.jpg

Here you can see it abuts the garage.. this is a garage window.

[​IMG]

Put the roof on today: (You can see the summer tractor in the side of the pic here, that was another fun build)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The windows came from a neighbor, and I have another window framed in, but I'm not sure I want a window facing out the back side or not.

The chickens love it, now all I have to do is put in the "chickenlock" (interior door to keep them out of the feed and from escaping when I open the human door), put in some shelving and do some electrics work. There is an outlet in the garage right next to it, so I will probably just run that in there for a water heater.

I have to say, they enjoy their new digs! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wow!! [​IMG] This looks really nice. And such a great project to work on with your son. You both must be very proud of your work? Are there vents -- I couldn't quite see? Are you planning to insulate? Looks like they are going to be real cozy.

[​IMG]
    Jenny

3. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Yup, vents are coming next... insulation afterwards. I don't know if the vents should be toward the top or the bottom of a coop of this type. I'm thinking the bottom, so air can get in but warmth will still stay at the top of the coop.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    You want to vent out the moisture. I'd put them near the top. You do not want cold air coming in at the bottom and causing a draft. gloria Jean

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    you want the vents at the top.. the warm air carries all the moisture ... this keeps it dry

6. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Heh I was just out there stealing power from the garage to put in the coop (Mission successful!) and I thought "Hmm, should I do the ventilation tonight, or tomorrow? I chose tomorrow, came in and read all about ventilation from patnadchicken's great resources. Top vents going in tomorrow AM!

Also on the list

1. Clean out hatch
    2. Insulation
    3. Water heating device
    4. Vents, vents and more vents, secured with hardware cloth
    5. Paint

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

errr. no, actually you do need some at the top too, because of the condensation from the chickens (from both ends!) Their breathing causes some, as does their poo. If you don't have vents at the top too, it'll be raining in there...

check out patandchickens big ol' ventilation page... https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

lots
    of good info there!

all that being said I think your coop, and your helper are AWESOME!!!!!! What a great team you are and I love how you let him do stuff. He looks like a real pro using that chop saw, and I can tell by the intense look on his face he's trying to get it perfect while he still remembers all those safety lessons you gave him over and over.

[​IMG]

Isn't it funny how chickens come and nutter around whatever your working on as if they were supervising the whole job?

//edit// [​IMG] LOLOLOL I'd edit out all the stuff I wrote since we were obviously typing at the same time and you already know most of what I said (and others too) but I'll leave it since taking it out would be sort of cheating! Awesome coop again though!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Got some vents in and started insulating.

Low side vent and details on the sliding door:

[​IMG]

Insulation on one part of the wall is in! You can see a window that is in place but I haven't actually made a hole in the wall for it. Not sure if I want it or not.

I'm using the foam stuff on the walls to discourage critters from living in there.

[​IMG]

Temporary anti-pecking walls put up, till I can afford more plywood:

[​IMG]

Ceiling insulation, a bit

[​IMG]

That's it for today, more projects on the actual house to do. :p Next weekend I'll put up real walls that look better, and I'll keep insulating as time goes on.

As far as vents go, I have another similar sized vent (no pics) on the other high side wall. Also, there is an inch long gap that goes the whole way across teh roof on the high side. We live on a hill, and there is always PLENTY of wind... so I'm thinking this is it for ventilation for the winter... when the weather gets warmer I'll add more, but I think this is it for now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a lot of work and so nice it has become a family project. I was trying to see what is on the roof, realizing that it may not be shingled yet, if that is what you are using. Would be nice to match the roof of the garage. Your climate is nearly identical to mine, so here are some winter thoughts- it certainly has been cold, early!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

10. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Whoa, you're braver than I am!! While building my coops, I had my 16 year old daughter who's very handy help out with the build, but I wouldn't let her anywhere near the miter saw! I guess I'm just "chicken". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by