1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally got to ride Megan!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Moonwalker, May 12, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    [​IMG]
    After owning her for over a month, I finally got to ride my mare!
    She has had sore withers from an incident in the shoeing stock. It happened just befor I bought her, on my day off, so I don't know exactly what happened, but apparently she reared before they could snug down the restraints and the slack allowed her to hit it pretty hard.
    I have also been working on getting her to trust me.
    I rode her out on the trail behind a group of customers. She did great! She didn't spook at anything, even when the dog came barreling out of the woods behind her. But she is definately full of herself! Prancing and dancing and just showing off and happy to be out and about. One of the customers kept turning around the whole ride to watch her! She kept saying how gorgeous she was. I will try to get some pics this weekend.
    Later I tried the harness on her (we were told she was trained to drive) and it didn't faze her. Usually, if you put a bridle with blinders on, if they aren't used to it, they will twist their head around trying to see and startling at sounds behind etc. I drove her (nothing hitched, just in harness) down the driveway and back and it seems as if she has done it before. She wanted to go a bit faster than I wanted to walk behind, but I think with a little more work, I'll be able to hook her to the little 2 wheeled cart and then the wedding carriage.
    I'll be riding her as much as possible to get her in shape.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That's great! [​IMG]

Can't wait to see pix of her!

Will be glad when we finally move to the family farm as we'll have room for a couple of horses. Skip would love a pair of Morgans and I have my heart set on Mustang adoption. I miss riding so much!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by