Finally Have a White Male Peacock!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Shepicca, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Shepicca

Shepicca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Woo Hoo! I finally got a white male peacock! After all my time lusting after one.
    The man had originally not wanted to sell him without the 2 white females but I already have 3 of those so was not interested and contented myself with the fact that I had the new pied that I could eventually get a white male from but he e-mailed on Saturday to say he had changed his mind.
    After a bit of soul searching and trying to decide if I really needed one and where I was going to put it, my husband and I were off on our road trip to get it. 7 hours later we get home with the white male and another BS hen. They are living in temporary quarters under our sunroom until we get a proper pen organised and then we move everyone around.
    He is 2 years old
    [​IMG]

Irene

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    He's gorgeous! And so clean... I am always amazed at how white white peafowl can be when it's so easy to get dirty!

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Irene, very nice looking peacock, your have at least a 3yr old. 2 yr old don't get a train that long....some do get a long train ,but not that long..

No worry about age as peacocks breed into their 20s.

Again NICE Bird !!!!

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] He's HANDSOME! [​IMG]

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Nice bird!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until next year when ours grow out. They were plucked for shipping.

Steve

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Congrats and he is really beautiful!

I also agree he is not 2 years old. 3 years at least. Tail way too long and full.. I've had 2 yr olds with quite a lot eyes and a thick tail but tail were not full adult length.

7. Shepicca

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I thought his train was too long to be a 2 year old but that's what I was told. It was hard going as the man only spoke French and I don't and my husband does a little.
    I think it was prehaps only the 2nd time I have bought birds from a place I didn't feel I was rescuing them, very nice man and very nice birds. If I had needed more whites I would have gladly taken the girls too but I already have more than I ever imagined and I still want to try my breeding plan to get a BS pied using my new Blue Pied male and my BS females.
    I need more pens!!!

Irene

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:good luck...I need new pens every year......so many new colors and patterns.......[​IMG]

9. Shepicca

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Deerman, how many peafowl do you have? How do you overwinter high numbers? You are pretty far north so would have some of the same problems I would face.

Irene

10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Have about 60 breeding age peafowl, down from a 100.

Winter them in a large flight pen with a barn inside, no heat , but I don't raised the greens ,or any spalding over 75% green.

pic. of their winter home.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by