Finally have Diatomacious earth stocked local to me.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yetti, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

My local Feed store here is finally stocking two kinds, the Perma guard brand and the Red lake Brand with added calcium(35%). both are Food grade. the name of the store is Chelsea Feeds on Jackson street here in Chelsea, Michigan.

I have been doing the Red lake in my feed for my birds and they don't seem to have any issues with it. I hand mix it in the feed at 2lbs per 100lbs of feed. I just picked up my Perma guard Tuesday and am taking that for myself and my son( he has stomach issues like me). hope it helps

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    taking that for myself and my son( he has stomach issues like me). hope it helps

There are no scientific reasons to think it would​

3. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Adolf Friedrich Johann Butenandt (24 March 1903 – 18 January 1995) was a German biochemist and member of the Nazi party.[1] He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1939 for his "work on sex hormones."

His prize had nothing to do with DE, and neither did his later (30 years later) studies that focused on Bentonite Clay

The chemical compound silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2.
    It has been known for its hardness since antiquity. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms.

The ONLY sites repeating this claim are also SELLING DE and promoting "holistic" medicine

Believe it if you want to put your faith in salemen rather than real scientists.​

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    There are no scientific reasons to think it would

AMEN!

Also there is no common sense reasons to think it would.

DE is made up of fossilized microscopic diatoms which have very sharp edges. These edges cut into the shells of insects which causes them to "bleed out" as it were. While it remains dry it is very effective in killing insects and absorbing moisture. When the diatoms absorb moisture they dissolve and are no longer effective as insect killers and revert to a silica, sand-like state. DE does NOT do any good internally as wormers (or anything else) on humans, horses, cows or anything that has moisture inside the body. It has all the health benefits of sand. But since sand is much cheaper I recommend anyone swallowing DE to stop doing so and switch to sand.

Be aware of the sellers of snake oil.​

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:AMEN!

Also there is no common sense reasons to think it would.

DE is made up of fossilized microscopic diatoms which have very sharp edges. These edges cut into the shells of insects which causes them to "bleed out" as it were. While it remains dry it is very effective in killing insects and absorbing moisture. When the diatoms absorb moisture they dissolve and are no longer effective as insect killers and revert to a silica, sand-like state. DE does NOT do any good internally as wormers (or anything else) on humans, horses, cows or anything that has moisture inside the body. It has all the health benefits of sand. But since sand is much cheaper I recommend anyone swallowing DE to stop doing so and switch to sand.

Be aware of the sellers of snake oil.

The "cuts them up" theory is illogical when applied to feed. If the diatom skeletons can tear up the chitin exoskeleton of the insects and other parasites, what are they doing to the intestinal brush border cells. Surely the same mechanics are involved with the cells on the villus causing them to be destroyed.

The DE sales pitches will continue reardless of what the science says.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The DE sales pitches will continue reardless of what the science says

So true

Many people fall for them without thinking things through.

Even IF "silica is necessary for life", it's obvious that everyone gets all they need WITHOUT eating DE, since the majority don't eat it, and yet are still alive.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by