1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally have eggs!!! And oddities :|

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pengimama, Jul 28, 2011.

1. pengimama

pengimama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Irwin, OH
    My Golden Comet has started laying!! I just have to say I was so excited I went out yesterday because Pengi was crowing and acting up and noticed that Red was missing. I found her in her nest box so I started talking to her, she turned around and "pop!" I heard the egg hit the nest box floor. I, of course, was all excited LOL I got to see the egg being laid!! She rested a minute and ran to my feet for a treat (spoiled chicken). LOL

Now, oddity. One of my hens laid an egg without a shell. I don't think it was the Golden Comet because she had laid an egg earlier in the day. It was literally just the membrane and you could see the yolk. Of course the chickens attacked it before I could get a picture of it :\\ Reading online, I see this is an oddity that happens on occasion, but the chicken that laid that hasn't laid since. Should I be concerned that that chicken hasn't laid any other eggs?

2. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    O_O that's amazing i'd like to see that, i wonder if its a calcium deficiency thing. we save and bake our egg shells then grind em up and mix it in with the feed, they lay very strong eggs. i dunno if you need to worry about the other chicken, mine have been known to take a few days off here and there

ps congrats [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Sometimes they will lay a shell-less egg- it could be they need more calcium- do you give them oyster shell? You can also grind up egg shells and feed them back to your girls. How long has it been since she laid the shell-less egg? If it has only been a day or two I wouldn't worry, if it has been a week then there could be a problem, though I have heard folks say on here that their new layers sometimes start up then take a week or two off- though this has never happened with any of my chickens.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:If they have just started laying it will be common to get a shell less egg .... Or sometimes an eggless shell. Um er an egg with a shell without a yolk. Some call them fart eggs.... LOL. http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html this fellow that has this website is retired so the links within the site may not work but his information has answered a bunch of my own questions over the past couple of years.

5. pengimama

pengimama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Irwin, OH
    Quote:I do keep a small bowl of oyster shell for them on the side, and feed Layena. It's been over a week since the shell-less egg was laid, whoever did it hasn't laid again. However, none of them has laid except Red who lays religiously every day before noon [​IMG] I wish I could have taken a picture. Honestly I was in such shock that I didn't think about it until I was trying to fight the chickens off it...

I will also try feeding them the crushed shells. See if that helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by