finally heard my rooster crow

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
I wanted to let my birds out of the run for a while last thur as I was outside working and was able to keep an eye on them. They are 17 weeks old and had never been outside the run, so of course had no clue....I literally chased them into the coop, and then had to climb thru their "very small door" in order to get them outside!! I'm sure if someone would have had a video camera, it would be hysterical but the ones I couldn't get into the coop I had to actually catch and put outside but once they were out there, boy were they happy chickens!! Especially my rooster who was crowing about every 10 minutes!! LOL!! Then of course it was time to get them back in the run and they were NOT happy about that....It was my excercise of the day for sure! I'll have to start making a point of spending an hour or so out there with them on my days off so they can free range.

Oh - they'll figure it out soon enough! It's fun watching them figure this whole "outside" thing out though.

-Frank

WOOHOO! That must've been really exciting!

When I let my older girls out for the first time, they were pretty confused, and stayed right in front of the door to their run. Like FrankBlissett pointed out, though, they do learn quickly! They don't range too far, but they wander all over the backyard.

I also find it much easier if I let them out an hr before sundown. That way they put themselves back into the coop. I learned that the hard way, after plowing through brush and ducking small trees to put them back inside!

-Meghan

Back
Top Bottom