Finally here (with pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kb010, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

So I got the call at 5 this morning that my little babies were at the P.O. So I scrambled (or I think the better word is stumbled) out of bed. I plugged in the heat lamp, filled up the water, and ran out to the car. It was pouring! So I made it to the PO in 5 mins flat and found my little peeping box. There were 16 in the box....
    [​IMG]
    You can see there that one isn't doing so well. I put in a shoebox lined with straw stuff and let her by herself inside the brooder (the others were picking at her =[)
    I fed her some sugar water via syringe, and she's still not doing well. She was def. showing no signs of interest in the food. I hope she makes it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I ordered 15 buff orps from randall burkey. All arrived in good health minus the one afore mentioned.
    There is one chick with a little bit of a brownish triangle on her head...you can sorta see in the pic above, but not too well. Idk if this is a normal variation, or if this is my packing peanut. They are so cute I can barely stand it. haha.

I think I'm going to check on the babies and try to take a little nap. Thanks everyone for all the information on these forums. I have learned so much already =]

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    These are so cute it almost hurts to look at em! [​IMG] Someday I'll start from day old chickies too. They are precious.[​IMG]

3. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

hehe. it's true. I only went down to check on them and ended up staring for 15 mins.

The one that wasn't doing so well passed away. I buried her under a douglas fir tree =[
    The others are doing really well, and a few are settling in for a nap (just like me).
    [​IMG]

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Okay, that does it!! I've got to get me those buff orpington chicks I've been yearning for! I got 17 baby chicks 1 week old and just loving it! This is our 2nd year raising chicks. Hope all your others do great! [​IMG]

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    They made it all the way from Zeeland Michigan. Good luck with them.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    congratulations. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG]

8. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

=] aw thanks, guys. it's going to be so hard to leave them today for class.

9. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    aww they are so cute, I hope the lil' weak one makes it for you![​IMG]

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh so so so cute. I just want to pick one up and rub it on my cheek. [​IMG]
    ETA: I work in a small law firm and told my boss that when my eggs hatch, to be prepared to hear some peeping coming from my office.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by