1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FINALLY...I have chickens for the first time

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cheapcheap_jeepjeep, Mar 18, 2007.

1. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I am so happy and excited to finally have chickens. I got them from a BYC member today. [​IMG] I picked up 3 RIR/NH reds hens they are 8 months old. They even laid an egg in the box on the way home (the kids loved that). ALso I picked one EE , Silver Hamburg and 2 White Rocks that about 2 weeks old. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My family and I are so happy we found this site. (thanks to the husband).

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, congrats on the chickens!! They are the best!!!
    Entertainment & fresh eggs,can't beat that [​IMG]

Nice to see some new folks,welcome to BYC!

Miriam

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats on your Chickens....and welcome!! Everyone here is so friendly, and helpfull....I just love coming in here....oh about 3 or 4 times a day! [​IMG]

4. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Good luck with the chicks and Congrats. They are alot of fun and welcome to the site!!![​IMG]

5. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    The hens are great and the only thing is the hens have yet to lay an egg here at home. do you think it is since it a new and odd place? [​IMG]

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Yeah, give them some time they'll come around [​IMG]

7. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    cheap cheap i see you are in central il. i live in weldon which is by decatur are you a neighbor. also would you be interested in a couple of muscovy ducks i have way to many thanks bob

8. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    ilroost:

I thank you for the thought but no thanks on the ducks. I actually got my chickens in Decatur. small world.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

Glad you like your new pullets! They will lay, just give them some time to settle in their new home. They took me about a week or so before they settled in to lay more eggs for me.

Hey folks, still got more white rocks and dark cornish chicks to give away. Found out today, hubby lost his job at Sears [​IMG] and now he is out looking for another job as in warehouse, stocking employments. Decatur isnt the greatest place to find employment....

Keep in touch!

Robin

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Ewesheep........so sorry to hear about hubby loseing his job. You are in my prayers...he will find another one. Tell him...good luck! If I was closer, i would get every hen you have to offer....of course, hubby would be SOOOOo MAD!! LOL What started as a small hobby just for eggs, has since become a flock of over 40! I hope you can find them all good homes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by