Finally, I have chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greysandy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    It was a drama the last few weeks, getting so excited to get my first chicks. I ordered the set of ornamental layers from MMH, waiting 3 weeks and then having them call me the day they were to ship and saying that they had a bad hatching, so it would be delayed by 2 more weeks. I just couldn't wait, so I called Ideal, and they told me it would be 3 more weeks. So I called the feed store and they got a shipment on Friday of 50 chicks so I went down there this morning and picked up 10 little cuties! We're going on vacation in April and I really wanted them to be out in the coop by then, plus I am the least patient person in the world and being addicted to this site didn't help that [​IMG]

I got 5 EE's, 3 barred rocks, and 2 RIRs (those were the only varieties they had other than white leghorns). One of the EE's is a bit of a runt and had pasty butt that I cleaned off. They were starving when I put them in the brooder...I'm thinking they may have run out of food at the Feed store, since it was a smallish feeder for 50 chicks and they went from Sat at 3pm until the store opened this morning at 8am. It was sad, there were about 5 chicks that had died over the weekend and were trampled in the cage, and one was not walking and close to the end.

I am so excited to start my chicken adventure, so here are the pictures of my new babies and my old greyhound checking them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    The first chicks I got was from a feed store to. I had got 4 Rhode Island Reds. My RIR's lay about an egg a day now. All are very nice except one. Good luck with your chicks.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Cuties...We all all enablers here and love to help everyone with their chicken addictions!

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Congratulations on the little cuties! Sounds like you saved them from the feedstore [​IMG]

5. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    They ate and ate and ate for about 3 hours straight and then slept when I finally left the garage and gave them some peace.

I found a worm in the yard clippings and put it in there. It was so fun to watch them investigate and then eat it!

Wow, they poop alot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by