Finally! I'm in the BYC!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Year of the Rooster, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Hi as u can see i'm new to the byc and i'm excited! i'm glad to say that i'm a chicken addict. :] Anyway, I've been reading this site for about two months now (wow talk about stalking lol) and I have learned A LOT!! and now i have some questions but they're all mixed subjects so i thought i would post here. ok here it goes:

1.) I've already decided what chickens i want but it was a tough decision: 1 BR, 1 RIR, 1 EE, 1 Australorp, 1 Buff Brahma, 2 White Silkies, and 2 Golden Sebrights (1 hen 1 roo). What are your experiences with these breeds? I've read a lot about sebrights and I DEFINITELY want one :]. I plan on showing some of them because i've been in 4H before and i really enjoyed it. Also what are the roos like for sebrights? Are they loud?

2.) The coop that i plan on building is going to be a two story coop. I've seen your Coop section and I love all the designs. I have seen two story coops that have the bottom part open or both open, but what if both levels were closed? Almost like a house maybe? I'm going to have windows on both levels for ventilation. I might build a small 3x3 coop next to it for my sebright pair.

3.)This may not be good, but we have our grass treated with fertilizer and pesticides about 5 times a year. I read another post about how thats not good but i love chickens too much T_T Any advice here?

4.)I want to order my chicks from My Pet Chicken, would u reccomend this hatchery? I'm just worried that they won't have what I want/need at the same time =/

Thanks to all BYC members! [​IMG]

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Welcome to BYC. I have no answers for you, but hopefully someone who does will read your post soon.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I breed Silver Sebrights. Sebrights are nice chickens. The roosters aren't very loud, and they aren't mean. You can have a coop that is closed on both levels, but they need to be able to get out into an enclosed area during the day.

I wouldnt use fertilizer and pesticides, otherwise, if you still do, dont let the chickens on that area that was treated.

Ive never ordered from My Pet Chickens, but I have heard good things about them.

GOOD LUCK

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    ok thanks! yes i will have an 8x10 run for them to go into. I also forgot the mention that the coop will be 8x5 would that be big enought for all except the sebrights?

5. SundownWaterfowl

I would add another 3 feet and make it 8x8'. I just built an 8'x8' coop, with an outside run. I've read that an 8'x8' coop can house up to 20 laying hens.

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    ok, but since i'm only having 5 standards and 2 bantams in the main coop, could i just make it 8x6 because i dont' have much room to build and i don't want it to take up the whole space [​IMG] I want them to be happy but i'd like it to look decent too.

7. SundownWaterfowl

Yes 8x6' would be good, since you have an 8x10'run for them.

8. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Alright thanks! [​IMG] boy, this is exciting!

9. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    i don't mean to bump and i don't want to get in trouble or anything but nobody has answered me. should i have posted these questions separately? [​IMG]

10. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:They are all great questions that go together with what you are doing I think~~and [​IMG]

Hope you show us some pictures of your new coop soon!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by