Finally Joined the Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlaBoutPeeps, Feb 25, 2015.

1. AlaBoutPeeps

AlaBoutPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Mississippi
    Hello, I'm Kelly. I have been a lurker for a few years and decided today was a good day to come out of the shadows. [​IMG] Thank you for all the great information posted on BYC. It has been a wonderful resource for me and my family. When we were building our coop 2 years ago, we really enjoyed seeing the coop designs that were posted. At the moment we have 10 RIR hens/pullets, 7 Golden Comet Hens, 6 Barred Rock hens/pullets, 2 New Hampshire pullets, 3 Welsummer pullets, 8 Black Jersey Giants & Australorps pullets, 7 mixed pullets, and 7 too many Roosters. This is subject to change because some roosters are going away, some chicks are ordered, and you never know who will go broody this year.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Kelly, welcome to BYC.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Kelly! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

I'm happy to hear that BYC has been a helpful place for you. [​IMG] We certainly enjoy helping out chicken owners, especially new ones! It sounds like you have a nice, varied flock right now.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! You must be very busy with all those chickens.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Kelly nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome To BYC! [​IMG]

9. AlaBoutPeeps

AlaBoutPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Mississippi
    Thank you for all the welcomes. I look forward to chatting with everyone at BYC.

Hi there, Theoldchick. Yes, my chickens keep me busy. I also forgot to list my 5 Buff Orpington hens which are one of my favorites. I knew that I was forgetting somebody yesterday, so when I was doing my head count yesterday evening, I couldn't believe that I forgot them. Two of them went broody last summer which was fun.

Hi Michael OShay. Last year we purchased the Black Jersey Giants and the Black Australorps at the same time. We could tell them apart until they fully feathered out. Now, we can't. They all look the same. My husband said that they are probably all the same breed. Do you know how to tell them apart? They are all around the same size.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Nice to have you join us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by