Finally Joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LJoWilly, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Hello everyone,

I have been a BYC lurker for over a year. I am new to raising chickens, as I got my first batch this past April. I researched chickens the past year, this site, books and poultry magazines. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into, as I have never raised chickens before. We have horses, goats, dogs and cats, now chickens. I love them all, but I never would have guessed the happiness that chickens would bring.

My dad who is retired, built a nice coop, and are currently finishing up their chicken run. my coop is 8x6 with dropping board underneath, filled with PDZ. Their run is 40x25. All for 6 chickens. I started with 7, sadly I lost Eleanor at 9 weeks of age to unknown cause, even after a visit to the vet. She died within 24 hours, stool sample was negative for cocci/worms, but she did have one eye shut, that when you opened it, it was blood shot, like she had hit it on something.

I now have 6 lovely ladies who will be 28 weeks old tomorrow, 1 BO, 2 BA, and 3 Speckled Sussex. They are not laying yet, but that's ok. I just enjoy hanging out with them.

I would like to thank all the members for their advice, and personal experiences, you don't know how much you have helped me through this process.

Thanks,
    Leanna

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you've got a great setup. I would recommend the Learning Center and the Member Pages, there are tons of great info and advice there. And if you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask! Best of luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LJoWilly, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Leanna and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Leanna, and welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Leanna, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice you've joined us, love to see a picture of your flock!

8. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will post pics as soon as I get them from my phone to the computer!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello Leanna, and my warmest welcomes to Backyard Chickens! Glad you could join us, and I hope you enjoy it here!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by