Finally...last what on earth is this one...breed and gender...7 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady of McCamley, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    This last little unknown came from the same grab bag of fertile eggs as the other posted. This one hatched from a large brown egg...generic size and color of just about every BR, NHR, etc.

Only...wow...what on earth is this ones genes? It was a "reverse" chipmunk as a chick...blue-grey-black with a brown "munking stripe".

There is very little comb development and the body build suggests hen all the way. More interestingly, it's almost like it has a black comb ?? !!!

I would think blue laced wyandotte, but there is no lacing, and that head looks some "game bird" dove like. Seriously folks, if this little bird hopped onto my front yard I wouldn't look twice at the Robin.

My guess is a pullet, mutt EE? Mixed with Blue something (Wyandotte) or something rather unique.

Love to hear your guesses as to gender and possible heritage.

Thanks!
    Lady of McCamley

You can see chipmunking on left chick of its dark colors with brown racing stripe
    [​IMG][​IMG]

At 4.5 weeks
    [​IMG]

At 7 weeks (today)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    How unique. She has the pattern of a Blue Duckwing chicken. Keep an eye on her and we'll look at her body shape to see what breed she is.

3. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    Agreed.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thank you CowGrrrl and Whitnni for your thoughts.

I'll keep posting photos as this one develops as she is so unique. She seems to be developing more orange lacing in the blue wing which makes me think of blue-laced red wyandotte, but the comb is so very wrong as is the leg color. I will look up blue duck wing as I've not seen that yet.

I got a little more background history from the farm she (as I am fairly certain this is a she) likely came from (if the story is accurate), and the fella that runs it does so for therapeutic purposes. He gets a lot of very different breeds, some very unique, some normal laying types. Once in a while mom gleans down the flock by taking in fertile eggs and a few chicks to the farm store...which is where I come in grabbing the cheap box of fertile eggs to hatch under my broodies.

So the heritage could be very unique...or simply a case of mixed genes...or likely both.

I'm very interested to see if the comb remains dark which would be very, very unique and waiting with baited breath to see what the egg color will be ( a long wait, I know).

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: