Finally laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmberH, May 16, 2010.

1. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    My two bantam Cochins were steadily giving me about two eggs each every week (sometimes more, sometimes less). I heard that that was kind of slow but that's how it's been for as long as I can remember. Well, for about three weeks they both stopped laying. I was hopping one or both would go broody soon but with no eggs, that wasn't going to happen.

I checked the box on Friday and dicovered three eggs. They weren't there the day before and I went crazy!! Is it possible that one of them had two eggs on the same day? Very confusing. lol There was a fourth eggs in there this morning. Neither hen is sitting on them yet. If they're anything like their parents, they'll wait until there's about seven or eight eggs before they go broody. I really hope to have baby Cochins soon. [​IMG] Wish us luck. Do you think it makes a difference that their three year birthday is coming up in July?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Almost impossible to lay two in one day. Cochins DO take forever to start laying and then sometimes they take a 2-3 week break and start again. I have blues and splash and I think IMO they lay MUCH better then the blacks. My blacks never were good layers at all. Not sure why. My others are laying like crazy now. I have been getting 2-3 eggs a day from four hens.

3. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. [​IMG]
    I can't tell for sure which hen's eggs they are but there is a blue and a black. I love to see the difference in color between the eggs. Some of them are white while others are a caramel brown color. If neither wants to hatch them, I'll try to get a pic. The eggs are in a different position every day so I know they're at least messing with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by