1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally letting hens out

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DaveTaunton, Sep 21, 2013.

1. DaveTaunton

DaveTaunton Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    I've kept my hens inside for a week and finally the time has come for them to venture out, they won't go very far past their home though, this is totally normal right? Thanks :)

2. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Very normal. Each time I have done that, it will take them a week to a month to really get adventurous. (after that, they will go almost anywhere, including the road.)

3. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Remember to keep an eye out for predators. You may attract something you don't want!

4. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Well I've given it an hour and 4 of them are all over my lawn! There's one that will only venture out sporadically though?

5. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Remember chickens are prey animals. They're showing very good survival instincts to not roam all over right away, they don't know the area is safe! They'll spread out as they gain confidence in their surroundings.

7. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Spread out they did indeed do! I looked away for a few seconds and one had popped into my kitchen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by