Finally made myself a real BYC member :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EledaWV, Oct 3, 2013.

1. EledaWV

EledaWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    WV
    Hello from WV! This is our first experience with chickens, and this site has been a great resource since the planning stages!

We have 3 hens, no roos, since we're in city limits (am I the only one who's moved OUT of the "country" and THEN decides to get chickens lol?). Froggy, Soapy, and Stripey are almost 9 months old, an Australorp, a Red Star, and an Ameracuana. The Australorp is not laying yet, but the other two have each been laying 1 per day for awhile now.

I originally was interested in the heritage breeds, but we were convinced by our farm supply "guy" to try a Sex Link...glad we did! She lays beatiful amber eggs, and Soapy has an awesome personality and thinks shes one of the dogs! This includes following us into the house and trying to roost in the basement...shes a hoot!

The Ameracuana is also really friendly, but a little more reserved. She lays pretty blue eggs. The Australorp is by far the prettiest of the bunch, but so far, that's about all that's keeping her from the stew pot! She continually escapes over the fence, even after strategic wing clips, shes pecky, and an altogether bad influence on the other ladies!

We built a coop, but they prefer to roost on our back porch. Haven't figured that one out yet... They do use the nesting box.

Glad to be here, and thanks for helping us get this far! :)

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! If you keep them in the coop/run for about a week they will learn where to roost, you may have to show them a few times though :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I like your chickens' names! They sound like real characters. I wonder if that Australorp isn't laying eggs on the wrong side of the fence?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

It is quite risky for your birds to roost on the porch, many predators are prowling around at night looking for a free chicken dinner. It would be best for you to coop them up at night somewhere safe.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

7. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I've learned so much on BYC, I hope you will to.

Love to see some pics of your flock [​IMG].

8. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    [​IMG]

9. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from College Station, Texas. It's good to see that you're enjoying the antics and personalities of your girls.

10. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hello & Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I love their names! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by