Finally moving out of the brooder!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickentrunks, May 20, 2019.

1. chickentrunks

chickentrunks Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    The coop still isn't done, but I'm going to let them spend their days out in the run until it is! They are really too big to be in the house at 7 weeks (tomorrow). Too much poo haha! Here are the pictures:

Attached Files:

drumstick diva and WhoDatChick like this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    YOu could put a cardboard box in there with some shavings for them to hunker down at nights. I move chicks out from the house after about a week of observation, they then move to the outside brooder along with their MHP. Depending on your location, some even brood in the coop with the MHP, check out Blooie's article ;)

drumstick diva and chickentrunks like this.
  3. WhoDatChick

WhoDatChick Free Ranging

Sep 6, 2018
    Nawlins, Louisiana
    I agree... time for them to be outside :lol:... my two week olds have been outside since day old.. in a brooder on my porch.. we are getting really hot here and I will be moving the three of them to a section within the run this week.. I don’t think they need the heat lamp anymore... I have only been putting it on at night and I’ve been putting them in the mini coop run during the day..
    Yours look really happy to be spreading their wings... I’ll bet they are fly/running around like crazy ;)

4. chickentrunks

chickentrunks Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    Haha they are scaredy cats! They just eat then run back to a corner then run to the water and back to their corner :wee
    The "brooder" I have is actually a room that used to be a porch but the previous owners turned it into a room. It's got a concrete floor and isn't properly integrated into the house so it's more like having them on an enclosed porch. It's a strange little room haha. I'll bring them in at night since I'm really worried about predators, I live in Albuquerque.

I'll check out that article too!

5. WhoDatChick

WhoDatChick Free Ranging

Sep 6, 2018
    Nawlins, Louisiana
    That sounds like a handy little “room”...
    I use the term “scaredy-chicken” and “copy-chicken” and “chicken see, chicken do” :lol:... cuz all of those sayings REALLY apply chickens :eek:

6. chickentrunks

chickentrunks Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    I actually did use the momma heating pad as I reared them! That's funny that you should mention it. I used a shelf rack I bought at Walmart as the support for it, and that rack is in the run with them... even though they don't all fit on top they certainly try to! They still think that rack is their mom! :lau
    Ever since I first saw her YouTube video years ago I said to myself, "That's the hot ticket, I'm going to do that when I get chicks someday." I think they are much too big for the heating pad now though. They have all of their feathers <3

7. chickentrunks

chickentrunks Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    Chicks in the rain!

Attached Files:

ChickNanny13 and drumstick diva like this.
  8. chickentrunks

chickentrunks Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    I wanted to thank you for this suggestion - they are absolutely too big to be in the house, but have been happily sleeping in and on their box every night, perfectly safe. So thank you for the suggestion, I was against it at first but as an interim measure is working very well!

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :thumbsup

chickentrunks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: