Finally my first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LivinNewDreamInND, Oct 24, 2010.

1. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I was starting to worry about my 23 week old pullets because not one was laying and then yesterday I found this:

[​IMG]

It was a nice sized egg with a good hard shell and a pretty pinkish/tan color. I ate it over medium for breakfast...Yummy!

Then over the past 24hrs I have found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I think they are one of each from my 3 different breeds of pullets. The one on the top I found around noon yesterday in the nest box. The one on the bottom right is very dark and speckled. I found it on the ground in their pen when I went out this morning. The one on the bottom left was a really big surprise because when I let them out this morning she squatted right in front of me and layed an egg! Silly girl I think she wanted to make sure she got the credit.

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Hip Hip Hooray for you! Nothing like fresh eggs. Each one seems like a little gift!!

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Wow egg wave , it takes them awhile to get the hang of it sometimes.we found a few in the run also early on we figured they just fell out also. Havnt found one outside of a nestbox for a long while though. They will catch on. Enjoy the eggs!!

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! It's very rewarding, after all the anticipation.[​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats!! It is worth the wait [​IMG]

7. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    how awesome [​IMG]

We also have 23 weeks old pullets.

Today we had scrambled eggs from our "first dozen" eggs.

They started 10/1 and #11 and #12 laid yesterday
    (unfortunately I stepped on one, on the coop floor, and I've found several in the outdoor run.

So very cool !!!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    That's great!!! Congratulations to be getting them all at once suddenly.

I've only had one egg be laid NOT in the nesting boxes, and it was the first egg laid by my adult chicken after we brought her home. All of the other eggs have been laid in the nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by