FINALLY: My first home and my first coop! See the first of the flock!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grillmaster33, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    For oh so long, I have hatched the babes, raised the babes, and given the babes away.

Two years ago, I was given 72 hours left to live, a new liver, and a new chance. I look for therapy in the smallest ways and have longed to sit back and watch my own flock of chickens meander around my yard. Life is too short! ....I move into my new home tomorrow and my chickens moved in today!

I purchased this from a young guy who builds coops.

[​IMG]

Forest Green! Good ventilation too.
    [​IMG]

My babes get a walk around their new digs!
    [​IMG]

And come peeking out into their new yard.
    [​IMG]

...which they learned to love IMMEDIATELY! (First time on grass! Oh, and they are protected.)
    [​IMG]

And after reading so much about it...SAND.
    [​IMG]

And yep, the ramp works. (Side note: WHAT IS SHE? She has a single comb, and blackish, grayish everything else)
    [​IMG]

---------

I couldn't sleep last night.

I am going to build a larger run which will connect at the side of the shed that you can see in the background. I have HUGE plans for that place, but for now I am enjoying all this happiness.

2. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Great job! Beautiful coop & awesome outlook!! You have been blessed beyond measure!! [​IMG]

3. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Thanks. :)

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    It's so refreshing to hear someone get so excited about something that most people would think is so simple! I could have purchased 3 ipads, a huge flatscreen t.v. (and have cable or satelite) with the money that I've spent to keep chickens. I wouldn't have it any other way! Congrats on your new home and at last YOUR OWN flock! I know that you will enjoy every bit of it! I also have to give props to your very well behaved dog that is hanging out in the run!

5. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Very nice.....is it on wheels? I cant see any in side pic.... grass will be gone in no time under that once their full grown.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Thanks! I grew up in the city and don't think I have too many friends and fam' that will ever understand my obsession.. (well uhhh...Passion).

No wheels. Should I sand the grassy area?

And yes, Carson, is very well-behaved. I am lucky.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Thank goodness you have that wonderful guard dog taking care of the coop and the gals!

8. Omah09

Omah09 Out Of The Brooder

Nice coop. I'm new to this with 4 nine-week old Easter Eggers. I live in a big city and have been amazed at the number of other people with chickens nearby. It's a great passion. Best of luck and have fun!

9. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Great story ALL AROUND!!! Good looking coop (may want to put hardwire cloth on the run later on if possible) great looking birds....an great looking wannabe chicken dog!!! Congrats and best of luck!!! [​IMG]

10. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd let them eat all the grass first then sand the area, that is if you dont end up putting wheels on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by