FINALLY my FREELOADERS...er,...pullets laid an egg at 24 weeks! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Sep 11, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi Everyone!

Finally, yesterday, as they turned exactly 24 weeks old, one of my BR pullets laid an egg! It is a small (1.6 oz.) medium brown egg, but perfect! Now I have 7 left that haven’t laid one egg yet. The 8 pullets consist of 3 BR’s, 3 EE’s, and 2 SLW’s. Actually, I know 5 of them were exactly 24 weeks old but the other three (1 BR and the 2 SLW’s) could be very slightly different in age, as I got them a couple of weeks later but they weren’t day old chicks as the others were. However, they were very young chicks, so the age difference is negligible.

I put a special egg carton aside for their eggs and labeled it “Baby Eggs”! I am hoping to get a few eggs in there before they become too old to use!

Yesterday before I got the first egg, I decided to take a few pictures of my pullets. Don’t let repetitive pictures of the EE’s make you think I have more than 3, I just can’t stop taking pictures of them!

Please excuse the quality of the pictures as they follow me wherever I go and it's so hard to take pictures of them that way. Here they are:

One of my EE's...

[​IMG]

Two EE's...

[​IMG]

Two EE's...

[​IMG]

One proud SLW...

[​IMG]

One of my BR's. I noticed my BR's are particularly fresh as compared to the others and this is the worst one. She hops up on that door every day when I go into the run so she can be the first to see what goodies I have [​IMG] ...

[​IMG]

Some more EE pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite pic...the BR and the EE are having a "faceoff" as the SLW looks on as if saying to herself "What the heck???" Apparently, they were able to resolve their differences peacefully as nothing came of it (thankfully). I think this picture is priceless! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone enjoys the pictures as much as I enjoy these lovely "girls"! [​IMG] Genie

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Your girls are beautiful!! And congrats on that first egg....[​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Congrats on your egg! WooHoo!

My SLW's are boss. My two orange EE's tend to be the lowest. I love the coloring of your EE's. I have two white (like my avi), two orange and two gray/bluish.

4. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Yeah, congrats on the egg![​IMG]
    I'm still waiting for our first egg. My girls are about 24 weeks old too.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

8. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    Wooooo-hooooo! Congrats on your first egg. [​IMG]

Your girls are beautiful. Love those EE's. They're so interesting, because each one is different, and you never know what you'll be getting.

Love the picture of the "face-off"!

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Pretty pretty hens!!! And congrats on you eggs!

Jenny

10. kingme

kingme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Merced, CA
    FIRST EGG! Lucky!

I am jealous, mine are still free loaders...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by