Finally my Lakenvelder gave me a white egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have 5 birds, 3 pullets and 2 hens the hens are lakenvelders and are supposed to lay white eggs, the Polish mix is supposed to lay white eggs, and the RIR's lay brown.

I had all brown eggs ??? I finally got a white one from my Lakenvelder, now I can tell who lays what, because aside from the RIR's they all have a different quality.

Does anyone have lakenvelders?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Congratulations on the laying! [​IMG]

I checked out Lakenvelder in the web and it is a German type of chicken that lays slate white eggs. They have a small body and are quite flighty. They are listed as threatened. Interesting breed! It's good for you to have such a nice breed.

Happy laying!

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Interesting breed! It's good for you to have such a nice breed.

Thank you I am lucky they are beautiful and on the rare side. Lakenvelder in German means Shadow on a page, I also have one that is Buff and she is stunning, they are indeed flighty but not slight, the buff is a little porky [​IMG]

She lays brown eggs, that is what I was questioning why do my white layers lay brown, I know it happens sometimes but two out of three that is something. Her eggs are white with a tinge of grey which does look like slate.

They were a gift to me a few months ago, I rescued them actually and I love them, loud mouths and all.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by