Finally named my 3 month old girls :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AuntieE, Jun 18, 2011.

1. AuntieE

AuntieE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    I've had my 3 month old RIRs since they were six weeks. I tried to name them, but couldn't tell them apart, so I gave up. I finally found colored velcro strips that I can use for ID tags so now they have names. [​IMG]

I made it super easy for me to remember whose who by giving them a floral name that corresponds to the color tag so...

yellow tag= Daisy
    blue tag= Bluebell
    purple tag= Violet
    black tag= Rose ( couldn't use a red tag- and there are black Roses [​IMG] )

2. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Great idea!

General question - (and I apologize if this was already covered in another thread), but how many folks name their birds? And at what point do you give up? 10, 20, 50?!

- Kim

3. AuntieE

AuntieE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    I guess it all depends on the person- if you search the threads for "chicken names" it will probably give you a zillion to choose from. It's a big topic around here. [​IMG] I've seen people that have 30 chickens that all have names (I have no idea how they tell them apart), and people with 3 that don't. I'll probably name mine as long as I can tell them apart. I also like being able to ID them if I need to keep track of one in particular. Prior to the tags I just called them the Red Girls. [​IMG]

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    All of mine have names (and personalities). I do have three buff Brahmas that are very hard to tell apart unless they are all together (there is a slight size difference between them), so I named them Millie, Tillie and Lily and use their names interchangeably when I really don't know for sure (ha - I don't think they care). All the others I know who they are immediately, but I have very few that are the same breed, and most are very different from each other. And I have one rooster who 'ba-gawks' and comes running when I call him "Freddy-roo!"

I have five Sultan babies that all currently look exactly alike and do not have names yet that I am struggling with right now, though...

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by