1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Finally Ordered Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasGoatGal, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TexasGoatGal

TexasGoatGal Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Well, I finally did it! I ordered a variety of chicks (6 pullets, 3 cockerels and one straight run) so that I can see which ones work out in my area. I live deep in SW Texas, and I want to try a few different kinds to see how they manage here. [​IMG] I also lwant to have a few roosters to protect the flock, so we'll see how this all comes together!

I have an old coop that we are fixing up and re-fencing, and they will be able to get out of the coop at least for a couple of hours each day, but will spend nights and a good portion of the day in the coop/chicken house. We are very rural, on a 25,000 acre ranch, and have all manner of varmints - surprisingly tho, no coyotes! So the coop will be covered, and we are working on making the fence as varmint proof as possible. I'm very excited, but April is still a ways off.[​IMG]

Anyway, just wanted to share! [​IMG]

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Congrats! What breeds of chicks did you order?

Nate

3. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    enjoy raising your new chicks.

4. TexasGoatGal

May 11, 2011
    I ordered a pullet and cockerel Welsummer, a pullet and cockerel Buff Orpington, a pullet and cockerel Gold Laced Wyandotte, a RI Red pullet, a Dominique pullet, an Americauna pullet and a straight run Favorelle. I ordered from Backyard Chickens - they didn't have any sexed Favorelles, but I'll be happy with whichever I get! I would like to have had a Catalana pullet, but they are really hard to find!!!

I'll be interested to see which breeds flourish down here where it can be hot (100 degrees and up) for 3 to 4 months! Their house is well ventilated!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the chicks!

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Congrats! You will love them!!

I do have one suggestion, though...that's an awful lot of roos for the number of hens. Or will they be separated?

6. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Im in NE Oklahoma and Last summer was Brutal! 115-120 Degree heat with no wind or rain for over a month! I had Welsummers, RIR, and Buff Orps and they did great last summer. They did drink a lot of water during that heat though. Will you separate your breeds? That is a lot of Roosters for a flock.

Nate

7. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Sounds great. good luck.

8. TexasGoatGal

May 11, 2011
    I will probably end up separating the flock in the future, yes, although eventually one or two of the roos will probably end up in the pot as I understand more about their individual and breed traits. I will also eventually increase the number of hens once I see which breeds handle the heat. I'm glad to hear that the Welsummers, Buff Orps and RIR did well in OK!! Hopefully some of the others will tolerate the heat as well! It was gruesome here for June, July and August - most days 100+ degrees and no rain - not one drop - all summer - not until October..... ugh! At least we don't have a lot of humidity!

My intention over time is to build a flock that can be used for both eggs and meat, so it any of the chickens doesn't work out, its into the pot!! Lol [​IMG]

I have had horses and goats for many years, so the basics of feed, water, shelter and appropriate space are pretty similar, I need experience understanding things specific to chickens!!!

I do have a question tho - whats a good roo to hen ratio?

Thanks much!!

9. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    1 Roo to 10 hens is about what hatcheries use. I try to stay about 1:7 as my max. I hatch my own eggs and sell chicks and hatching eggs so fertility is a must! I have a group that have 2:11 and I get about 95-100% Fertility.

Nate

10. TexasGoatGal

May 11, 2011
    Cool, thanks! That helps a lot!

For the couple of years or so, I won't want to hatch any of my own, but that may come, once I decide upon breeds. I really like the looks of the Catalana, but they are really hard to find. I just need to experiment to see what breeds I like and which ones work well here! Thanks for your info - its all very welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by