Finally picked out our coops! Now I just need chicks!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huckleberryfarm, Jan 16, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    After a lot of research and daydreaming, we decided to go with these two coops. Both are 8 x 6, although one is much taller and has a front porch (and will have a porch swing). Both have working windows with screens. The little coop has a built-in nest box with 5 spots and access from the outside to the eggs. It has a cute little chicken door. The bigger one has electrical outlets, lots of windows, and is tall. My new Amish builder friend is going to be chicken doors on both sides for me.

We went out to the farm and marked off where we want them placed on Tuesday (delivery day!). We plan to set them side-by-side with about 5 ft in between. We will build the run with a screened door in between the coops and then off the back of the coops to the pasture fence. The chicks can get out from either coop into the space between them. The run will measure 22' x 25' when it's finished plus the 5 ft in the middle of the coops. We plan to make it about 6 ft tall and use the clear plastic ridged pieces on the top for a roof. They will also be able to run around when we're there. We will be building a house during this coming year so right now, we'll just be going out daily.

I'm really excited! I hope they work well.

I don't know how to post pictures, but there are some at my blog, www.sugarhillfarmsc.com
    I'm thinking about painting them red with white trim. Or I could just leave them. They just seem kind of boring to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very cute! Especially the one with the porch! [​IMG] I like the natural color, and I think just painting the window trim and the flower boxes would brighten it up just fine. But if you go the extra mile and paint the whole thing, I'm sure that will look great too. I can't recall now whether the floors were wood. If so, you might consider putting down vinyl to make clean ups much easier... Hope the run building goes well!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How fun!

You are so very blessed.

The one thing I noticed in the one coop is that the nest boxes looked a bit shallow... like eggs could fall out???

Maybe it's just my eyes.

4. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Yes, the floors are just wood. I thought we might nail down some vinyl flooring and cover it with bedding. I don't think the nest boxes are that shallow but I've never had them before. They put some kind of plastic thing in them that is removable but from the outside, they were pretty deep. I think they'll work!

5. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    very nice!! your chickens will love it.[​IMG]

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Oh My god would you adopt me as a chicken [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Both coops look like an office or a doctor buildings to me. [​IMG]
    very nice your chickens will be very very happy.

7. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks to everyone for their advice! I just spoke with my coop man and told him the little coop needs more ventilation. He's going to put two vents up near the roof on the sides of the building and add a rectangular screened window for the back so I can get some cross ventilation. The bigger coop had the vents and windows on 3 sides, so I assumed that was okay!

My only other concern on the little coop is that he put roosts at the same level as the nest boxes. I've read on here that the roosts should be higher. Should I remove them and add something else higher or just leave as is?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think they will be ok if they are the same hight, but if the boxes are highr then chickens my roost on boxes/

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by