1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally! ***Pics of my bator design***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 20, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    This is my bator design. Not very fancy but it works! My fertile egg is in that bator at that time. Temp. is 101 degrees F. and Hum. is 65-70%

[​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    instead of putting the lamp inside, I put it on top. It has been getting colder so i added an additional lamp. the heat goes right through and into the box! [​IMG]

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Great job, way to go! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Wow! Great Job! Good luck with your hatch. I haven't hatched anything yet, but am hoping to try in the spring. Let us know what happens with the little chick.
    Michele

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks! [​IMG] If the egg I am trying to hatch doesn't make it, then I am gonna throw this bator away and build a new one from a Styrofoam cooler, like other people have done. It's such a hassle to have to make those two lamps just the right fit so they can stay up. It would be sooo much easier to have a light inside the bator! [​IMG] I am gonna see if I can find a lamp kit...

6. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    what did you make the top out of?

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:The top is connected to the plastic box. [​IMG] It's like a plastic box with a cover on it. I also wrapped the box(inside and out) with tinfoil, since I was worried the heat from the lamps would melt the plastic. :eek: And then I made those three air vents(one is visible on the front)
    Also, I found a cardboard box that fit perfectly(a shoe box) you can see it from the pic. The plastic box is inside the slightly larger shoe box, which helps keep temp./hum. inside.

8. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    so the top is like a tuperware container?

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    yes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by