finally, pics of our coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TurtleChick, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    i kinda wish i had taken pics a year ago when we built... funny how you don't notice the chicken poop splatters on a day-to-day basis. then you take pics and you go "WHOA" my peeps are poopy-queens! [​IMG]

here's the coop and run - run used to extend out from coop in an a-frame shape (imagine a large sedentary tractor), but i HATED the door (opened upwards and i had to duck in whilst playing chicken-herder to keep the horde from escaping). dh added on this year when we put a pergola on the back of the house - he rolled his eyes, but matched the peeps beams to the pergola ends. [​IMG] now the girls have a larger (8x10) run to play in.

[​IMG]

girls' house from the back - all pieces open. top opens up and is screened off from the bottom of the house - last winter they had a heat lamp there and it remains a place for emergency heat/light if needed.

[​IMG]

middle opens down and gives me access to nest box and cleaning from the back.

[​IMG]

and bottom opens down for access to more cleaning and food/water (which sits under the nest box/roost shelf to help keep it poop free... doesn't mean they aren't excellent at kicking shavings in it, though! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and lastly, the bratty lil inhabitants!

[​IMG]

thanks for looking!

2. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    good job and your bratty illinhabitants look fabulously happy!

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    very cute!!![​IMG]

4. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    GREAT coop! What does the yellow sign say?

5. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Really nice coop and run! Your DH did a terrific job on the woodwork. Healthy looking hens!

6. TurtleChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    haha! neighbors had it made for us at the fair last year (when peeps were ordered but not even here yet! do we have great neighbors or what????). it says: Attack Chicken On Duty

[​IMG]

7. TurtleChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    i just looked again at the pic of the peeps and it makes me giggle: our ee'r is a snot (see her NOT looking at me, even though i was kissing at them to get them to look???), AND our rir is a lil wee piggie - LOOK at her crop bulging out!!! i didn't notice that when i was taking the pics, but i'd just given them some leftover rice from last night's dinner. i bet i know who ate most of it!!!

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I like that setup!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Wonderful setup. Your birds look very happy.

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    That is just too cute and is a great idea. I like it very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by